Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro M254dw
Other

I have a Color Laserjet printer M254dw and I recently replaced all 4 ink cartridges with HP ink cartridges.  All four of them come up with "Supply Problem" and I can't print.  I've tried rebooting the printer, unplugging the printer, nothing seems to clear the issue.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@dizzydizzy

Welcome to the HP support community.

Check for packing materials and paper

1. Turn off the printer.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the printer.

Figure : Disconnecting the power cord

Disconnecting the power cord.
  3. Open the toner cartridge door.

Figure : Opening the toner cartridge door

Opening the toner cartridge door.
  4. Look for and remove any packing material such as cardboard, tape, or paper debris.

Figure : Example of removing packing material

Example of removing packing material.
  5. Remove the toner cartridge.

Figure : Removing toner cartridge

Removing toner cartridge.
  6. Look for and remove any additional packing material or paper debris inside the toner cartridge area.

7. Check for and remove the orange tab on the toner cartridge.

Figure : Removing the orange tab

Removing the orange tab.
  8. Check for and remove the protective sealing tape on the toner cartridge.

To remove the protective sealing tape, pull the tab away from the toner cartridge, and then discard.

CAUTION: 

If toner gets on your clothing, wipe it off with a dry cloth and wash the clothing in cold water. Hot water sets toner into the fabric.

Figure : Removing the protective sealing tape

Removing the protective sealing tape.
  9. Gently rock the toner cartridge from front to back to make sure the toner is distributed evenly.

Figure : Rocking the toner cartridge

Rocking the toner cartridge.
  10. Insert the toner cartridge into the printer, and then close the toner cartridge door.

Figure : Inserting the toner cartridge

Inserting the toner cartridge.
  11. Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the printer.

Clean the electric contacts on the toner cartridge

1. Open the toner cartridge access door.

2. Remove the toner cartridge from its slot.

3. Use a lint-free cloth to wipe the toner cartridge contact (E-label) on the top left of the toner cartridge.

NOTE: 

Coffee filters work well.

Figure : E-label on a toner cartridge

Toner cartridge contact (E-label)
  4. Insert the toner cartridge into its slot, and then close the toner cartridge access door.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click  here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

This is a firmware update issue as HP deliberately alter the firmware to prevent use of third party cartridges.

It happened to me and I have fixed it via

[Content removed]

The software rolls back the firmware to the working version. If it works do not touch it scenario

There are also instructions on the site on how to fix the printer to not automatically update the firmware.

I have run the software and disabled firmware updates and mine is back to full working order.

Try it IT  WORKS

Regards

Gary

HP Recommended

Same issue happened to me after latest firmware update.   Unfortunately HP removed your link to the fix.   NOT HAPPY with HP

HP Recommended

Same problem with cartridges no longer work - message Supply Problem - after performing update.  I have seen previously that you can send a fix for this.  Please do so if possible - this is one of 5 machines we have (though the only one where I am) and I don't want to risk this happening elsewhere. AND I DO NEED TO PRINT MATERIAL FOR WORK

HP Recommended

HP seem to be blocking my postings with details of me I have a website

My name is Gary Farrell    and photography is my hobby

Fill in the gaps and contact me that way

gar_farre__photograp__.co_

Talk shortly I hope.

Corporate big bullies....will not prevail

Dr Gary Farrell

HP Recommended

What absolute A**Holes! I will never buy an HP printer again their cartridges are 5 times the cost $260.00 vs $50 from 3rd parties.  I rather spend the money on a different printer at $260. Well Done HP! 

HP Recommended

Can you send me the fix that was removed?

HP Recommended

Hi Gary can you send me a link at [personal info removed.] these people are knumbskulls and ripping us off with their BS issues.

HP Recommended

#1) that is NOT the same printer

#2) No, none of your techniques help. 

#3) can you actually provide a working solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.