Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Way to go HP - I am a solopreneur and do not have deep pockets. My printer now won't print so I'm essentially out of business until I go out and buy new cartridges??? Shameful. Time to switch brands. Epson is my next choice.

HP Recommended

Has anyone worked out how to back this out? I had working cartridges, I presume the printer "upgraded" when I reinstalled it (due to HP uninstalling it when support was installing another printer - that is another  long and painful story).

I have both "policy" and "protection" settings turned off, but still the message appears.

You can guess how unhappy I am with HP right now - and if I cannot get these cartridges working again, they can be assured I will not be buying their cartridges but  a completely different manufacturer's printer

HP Recommended

I also downgraded my firmware last night and it cured my problems as well. I still feel like taking this back to Costco and getting a different brand even if not available from Costco.

- Not Happy with the HP headache it is causing me.😡

HP Recommended

I had problems getting my printer to accept the firmware change until I  switched from wireless to a USB/Printer cable from my laptop direct to the printer. It took it immedietly. Fixed.

HP Recommended

I fixed it by downgrading. 
It took a bit of tracking down but this link worked for me:
https://www.rickscully.com/2020/how-to-downgrade-hp-printer-firmware-via-ftp/#more-2282

After the sorry experience of installing another printer (basically it had old firmware and the automated "easy" to install software failed as a result, then when that was fixed the cartridges it that came with it failed as the plastic strips ripped off the electronics they were glued on so hard and it took HP over a week to get new cartridges to me), and then this experience, I am now on the "never again" list for HP printers after decades as a loyal customer.

HP Recommended

I had a working printer with the 20211109 firmware but all 4 toner cartridges were very low. I changed the cartridges (bought as genuine HP ones from Amazon) and it was apparent that 3 of the 4 were a newer manufacture date than the yellow (only the yellow needed a pull-off tab). The yellow cartridge not accepted which was annoying to say the least. Have ordered a new yellow cartridge direct from HP rather than see if firmware downgrade fixes it.

HP Recommended

The firmware downgrade did eventually work but it took a few days to kick in and even then I didn't force it to happen.  Directly after it had downgraded I changed my printer to not accept any further updates automatically and the printer has been fine ever since.

HP Recommended

I downloaded the exe file. ran it, but it just hangs. It says make sure that your printer is in ready state. My printer always has the blocked cartridge error message up.

HP Recommended

I deleted my printer and reinstalled it.  Once I allowed Windows to manage my printer, I could install the downgrade.  Then be sure to block automatic upgrades. 

HP Recommended

I never got the exe versions of the firmware updater to work. No errors, they seemed to work but the printer never installed the up new (old) firmware.

The instructions on this link (which also has a link to the file needed) worked perfectly with the FTP  method though.

https://www.rickscully.com/2020/how-to-downgrade-hp-printer-firmware-via-ftp/#more-2282

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.