Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 4500 Officejet G510n-z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Dear HP community.
Please see the response below regarding Shadow Printing on out of warranty HP printers before you purchase new Ink cartridges. 

Hope this helps you out. 

dgregs

Re: Forum Information

Hello ,

Thank you for providing that information. I regret to inform you that your unit has reached End of Support Life, which means that HP no longer has access to hardware or software to repair or replace your Unit. Past customers I have spoken with have been successful in taking their unit to a local computer repair shop or purchasing replacement parts from a third party. 

If you prefer, you can contact our Home & Home Office Group in your area to see what current models may fit your needs. For your convenience, I will give you some contact options for sales in your country where you can check into any discounts or sales which might be available to you:
Here is a link to chat online with a sales rep:
You can also reach our sales by calling 888-999-4747
Please feel free to let me know if you need any other information I might be able to provide, and I will see what I can do.  

Best regards,

Jeff Christopher
Executive Escalations
I am an HP Employee 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @dgregs,

I had responded to you on a different post.

Where had suggested installing the printer with windows built-in driver, were you able to try that?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

HI Jay_G24

The trouble shooting was basically a suggestion for me to buy new cartridges (which I did) as well as installing the windows built driver.  I am truly disappointed with the support from HP regarding this issue. Here is my response to Jeff which has gone unanswered.

dgregs
‎01-18-2021

Thanks very much Jeff.

I can appreciate your response,  if what you are suggesting is in fact  the case. Here are my thoughts regarding the situation;

• I should not have been instructed by HP (on several occasions) to purchase a new set of cartridges and to discard my old ones which were only half used. That is over 100$ value just in ink cartridges.  ( My expectation is to be compensated for this)
  • My printer works perfectly for test pages and certain print jobs. With regards to HP not having access to hardware or software to support the product, I question the accuracy of this statement. The only people who actually have access to the hardware and software to support this product are in fact HP.
  • For clarity, the printer is in perfect mechanical condition  and works perfectly for HP test pages. The issue is HP has not provided a software update for the printer to work properly. This  is a common and well documented issue in the HP forums along the different HP models that are out of warranty.
  • I am saddened by the way the forums have been censored by the moderators  and especially the correspondence by HP with regards to this issue. Had this very common issue not been censored by the moderators or "taken off line" I would have known to simply purchase a new printer immediately. There is not a single response in the forums similar to your response that you provided which seems like a standard HP "party line"

To rectify the situation,

• HP must provide the software support required for my printer to work or;
  • Refund me for the cartridges I was forced to buy as a result of their trouble shooting instructions and replace my current printer with any similar model that works as the printer no longer works as a result of inaction to support the product by HP.

The suggestions above are likely the most cost effective solutions for HP. Failing to come to what I consider to a mutually agreeable outcome would force me to escalate the issue to a less moderated,  much more "public" forum.  

I can assure you that HP will eventually do the right thing, it is simply a question of how long it will take and how many people will have to become aware of this situation.  This could end up being a much more expensive proposition for HP to rectify this situation given the environmental impact of having customers create electronic waste for the sake of profit dollars. 

If I do not hear back from HP within 3 business days, I will take that as HP's approval to escalate this issue to a more public forum .

Govern yourselves accordingly,

dgregs

HP Recommended

I have escalated your issue to HP’s Support Team in your region. They will review and check for possible options available, if any, to resolve your issue.  You should be contacted within 2-4 business days (this does not include weekends or holidays).  Response times may vary by region

HP Recommended

I have, literally, spend hours (if not days) trying to address the shadow printing for my HP Photosmart C4780 all-in-one printer (yes, it's a few years old but had been working pretty good up to a couple of months ago).

When I see the comments by HP product users it is very discouraging. Like many contributors to this problem, my test paper (i.e., alignment page) prints perfectly. But I cannot print anything from Word without this shadow.

Very frustrating considering I bought both new cartridges (tri and black XL) at a cost of $173.00. I printed 3 - 8x10 photographs and my colour cartridge was completely drained (never happened before, and I have printed A LOT of pictures). Never mind it was printing text in shadow.

Thought I had an alignment problem. Could not print an alignment page unless I replaced the cartridges (I took the new "old" cartridges out and reinserted them hoping it would let me print alignment page and this would eliminate the shadow.) So, I bought another set of cartridges (another $173 - XL). Nope, still printing in shadow.

After reading the comments below, it appears I am out $346 ($173 x 2), because HP cannot service its own products but can certainly continue to gouge it's customers by suggesting we buy new cartridges. So, now I have 2 full cartridges in a useless printer - thanks HP!

I will NEVER AGAIN buy any other HP products (I own an HP laptop that has given me misery for years). Tried locating a help number to call but, nope...It seems HP goes out of its way to prevent you from actually speaking with anyone.

Will I get my money back - I seriously doubt it. I could have bought a new printer and several cartridges instead of wasting my money on new HP cartridges. You have lost a customer who has been with you for more than 10 years. Good job, Lads.

I really don't expect HP to let my comments be viewed and will likely delete it. So be it. 

HP Recommended

Dgregs,

Just wondering, did you get any further help from HP?

HP Recommended

Hi Foolmeonce1:

Although HP has confirmed that they would respond. HP never bothered to reach out. 

HP Recommended

I have also had a lot of issues recently with the shadow printing problem. It looks like I will have to deal with it or buy a new printer. This is really frustrating, as my printer is also in fine working condition and is even an older model (Photosmart C4680). I think it's terrible that problems like this come up and there's no obvious solution besides throwing it away and buying a new one. I'm on a limited budget and don't need a fancy printer, but I do need one that works.

HP Recommended

@andfarm

Welcome to the HP support community.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.