Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Same issue here! NOT happy about it. Fix It HP

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the information, this worked for me!  The only issue that I ran into was that HP seems to have done a great job of deleting the previous firmware versions, so I had to do a somewhat extensive search in order to find it.  Ultimately, the version that I found was 'HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612' which I've saved locally in case it happens again.  I did go in and adjust the settings to not allow updates after I finished, so hopefully this won't be a problem again.

HP Recommended

Sadly, HP is unlikely to fix this. It feels like a deliberate attempt to force us to replace third-party cartridges with genuine HP cartridges. I've solved it by downgrading my firmware and marking the printer to NOT update the firmware.

HP Recommended

Seems I have same problem as lots of folks this past 10 days when Microsoft updated:

My printer just had a Windows and HP update and now suddenly it won't recognize the aftermarket toner cartridges that I've been using without issue for the past 6 months or so.

The specific error message I'm getting is "Supply Problem" (no other code is given).

It shows a picture of four jars of ink: black, cyan, magenta, and yellow.

The black & three color jars have a question mark over them.

The black toner cartridge I'm using is an after market as well as the three color cartridges.

I've been printing, scanning, and copying with no problem until just now when the update was complete.

I have already done a hard restart of my printer (remove toner, unplug, wait a bit, plug back in, etc.) and changed all the cartridges with brand new ones with no change.

I have uninstalled the printer and everything that went with it.  Going to attempt to re-install and see if that helps but now that I've read all these posts and a possible fix, wondering if I've now made it more work than needs be and also if re-installing will automatically fix problem but not too hopeful.  I spent all day yesterday and this AM being frustrated to the point I've begun shopping for a new printer that is not an HP.

Thanks for all the help.

HP Recommended

Worked like a charm!  Thank you! 😀

I would like to add that the issue is not just related to non-HP toner cartridges.  I ordered and received a set of cartridges from HP (believe it or not, less expensive than buying from Staples or Best Buy .. go figure).  I replaced just the black cartridge in the printer, rebooted, and it still gave the supply error message on all cartridges.  Well, now I have a set of spare cartridges for when my toner runs out (small consolation) 😒

HP Recommended

This thread has not received any information from HP, but I've been tweeting at HP Support nearly every day since this started. I finally heard back from them a couple days ago.

"Please use only HP genuine cartridge [sic] on your printer."

So that seems to be it, folks. It appears as though HP did this on purpose. Or, at the very least, they are unwilling to remedy this.

Either downgrade your firmware (which seems to work for folks but I haven't tried it yet) or be gouged for toner.

HP Recommended

I found this on google. I am hopeful it will help. 
Since HP scrubbed the software from their site (Bastards) and someone posted a drive link in the HP Form, which I figure will get taken down...I linked it below and added the steps.

The latest firmware upgrade forces you to use genuine toner.

I didn't type the steps or try them, but I walked someone through them and they worked.

Google this!

HP Recommended

Your instructions seem to be fine, even with workarounds.  My problem though is that the firmware does not recognize the printer.  It wants to send it to a fax or print to PDF, no hp M281 printer.

I am missing something.

HP Recommended

These instructions above were found online. I did try the steps and they did not work. I have ordered new toner. 

I am saddened that HP will not allow us to use other cheaper toner. However, with anything else, HP is in it to make money and this is the bottom line for any company. This is understandable. 

I do believe this to be a SCAM. So take this as a Warning - Beware of spammers

I also believe in HP products and hope this problem will soon be rectified. 

HP Recommended

It worked. Though it took a while for the printer to start programming. I disconnected power, restarted, tried again. And then, all of a sudden it started and now it works like a charm. Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.