Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

So does this mean that I can no longer accept firmware updates?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately yes, no more firmware updates.  However if your printer is working fine, I don't really see why you would need to have the firmware updates.  I guess it could come into play down the road if HP has new features that only work with the latest firmware.  

HP Recommended

I've tried all these things. Now my printer runs constantly and will briefly flash Error 79. I've replaced with genuine HP toner also. The virtual agent will not let me past since my printer is 1 year out of warranty. This is not a cheap printer and now I have a couple of hundred dollars invested in HP toner inside this unit. Is there a number to call someone at HP? 

HP Recommended

I've tried the USB option too

HP Recommended

I have tried all the suggestions and failed as well. 
Totally frustrating. 

HP Recommended

I'm getting ready to throw this very expensive printer away! I would happily pay HP to fix this problem.  We haven't had a printer for 2 weeks.

HP Recommended

I’ve had a break-through! I restarted the OC...again! When the printer woke up this time, it showed a paper jam. After tearing everything apart, I found a small paper tray called tray 1 just above the tray we put stacks of paper into. I had to remove both trays and found a piece of paper in that tray 1. 

After removing the paper, putting everything back together, my PC acknowledged the printer. I put in the IP address and like magic, it worked. Printed a test page. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

HP Recommended

Hi, Abbie9 — the instructions worked for me after I connected a USB cable. But if after all these attempts there still not working for you, and before you throw out your printer, I'd suggest reaching out to a local IT support company for help. There is a local one here in New Jersey I have used with great success, and I'll be happy to make a recommendation to you if you're interested.

I can assure you that after correcting the issue in accordance with the instructions here, my printer has been working perfectly fine with off-brand toner cartridges. It would  be a real shame for you to have to throw out a printer that can be made to work perfectly well again.

HP Recommended

I have all genuine HP ink cartridges, and I've been using them for many days, I'm also getting the "Supply problem" message on just the magenta cartridge. It's an HP cartridge. Any ideas??

HP Recommended

Thanks to everyone that posted, rolling back to the previous firmware fixed the issue. I have wasted hours on this problem and was forced to run out and buy 2 genuine HP cartridges to finish an important project. It was rather obvious when the issue started straight after the update, but none have the time these days to waste on unnecessary research - HEY HP THAT's WHY WE TRUST AND SUPPORT BRANDED PRODUCTS!!!!!

For me personally, HP have damaged their brand due to some propeller head's decision to try to monopolise ink supplies but inserting a software driven block on non genuine. How can you trust this type of decision in a large corporation, what sort of software driven activities are being installed in any HP product

[content removed.]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.