Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LasesrJet Pro MFP M181FW Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm using HP Color LasesrJet Pro MFP M181FW Printer and there are 4 toners. Recently the black toner has run out (which model and part no was 205A and CF530A).

Then I bought an original HP toner for this printer from here (which model and part no were 204A and CF510A) and replace it with the old one (205A). But it is not supporting and showing an error message in the printer's display that "Incompatible black cartridge". But as far as I know that, 204A toner is also compatible with the MFP M181FW Printer (see here), but why it is not working for me? Is it conflicting with the other three 205A toners? or is there another issue?

I tried with many methods to solve it (like printer resetting, disabling hp cartridge protection etc.) but no luck!

Please help me to get rid of this problem. Thanks.

Here are the printer details:

1601819322729.jpg

The error message:

1601819416349.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP 205a cartridges are used by your printer in Europe, Russia, CIS, Middle East, and Africa, HP 204a are used in North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, and Japan:

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c01766411

Were was the printer purchased from? was it purchased in your own country or maybe from another country?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for your valuable information.

I bought both printer and toner from my own country (Bangladesh, Asia Pacific region) and the printer was made in Vietnam. So it should support 204A according to your information, right?

HP Recommended

I have sent you a private message, please click the top envelope icon to access private messaging.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have sent you the information that you wanted about my HP MFP M181FW printer. Please provide me a solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.