Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4630 e-All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55D-A Laptop and an Officejet 4630 printer, both hooked up by wifi. Now a few days ago the printer wouldn't print, and when I looked in active printers it would say spooling and quickly delete the print job to where I had no documents pending. It could copy fine, but not print. So I went to the print spooler, stopped it, then started it again, and at first that fixed it as it started printing again.

However it started happening again and stopping/starting the print spooler would not fix it. It's even happeneing to my old Deskjet 2400 which is connected via USB, so I think the problem is on my laptop's end. So I tried using the HP Print and Scan doctor. It could not print a regular test page but could print an INTERNAL test page. At this point the Print and Scan Doctor told me to uninstall and reinstall the software. I uninstalled it and had to reintall it via usb, because I now keep getting error messages when I try to install it wirelessly. Now when I try to print it says PRINTING instead of SPOOLING, but still doesn't print, and still deletes the print job.

Is there any way I could get the Officejet (and/or Deskjet) to start printing again (instead of spooling), and set my Officejet up again to where it can print via wireless again?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @2112lamneth,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues while printing from your HP OfficeJet Printer. Don't worry I'll be glad to help you with this.

Going through your post, it looks like an issue with the print spooler. Follow the steps below to clear the print spooler:

Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL49503/mp-120038-6/OJ4630_198.exe  to download and install the software.

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried both of those options, had to set up the Officjet through USB again and it still says its printing, but will then delete the print job and not print. So nothing has changed.

HP Recommended

Hi @2112lamneth,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's try these steps here: 

1.  Click Start >> Devices and printers.

2.  In the Devices and printers window, Right Click on HP Officejet 4630 printer series and click on Printer Properties.

3.  Click on Advanced tab.

4.  Under this select Print Directly to Printer option.

5.  Now try printing.

If the issue persists, Let's perform a clean install to try and fix this issue. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Deskjet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Restart your computer.

Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.

Now restart your computer again.

Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

Click on  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL49503/mp-120038-6/OJ4630_198.exe  and install the software.

Connect the USB cable only when prompted.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Hi @2112lamneth,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest this could be an issue with the computer, I would recommend you try to create a new User account and check if that helps.

It looks like an operating system issue with the machine. TRy to create a new local user and then try to install the printer. Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC: Create a local user or administrator account in Windows       

Now, login to the new account and then try to install the printer and check.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Jeet_singh, I tried creating a new user and the printer was already installed. So I tried to print and it said spooling for a few seconds, then printing for a few seconds, and then deleted the print job again. So it still won't print.

HP Recommended

Hi @2112lamneth,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have followed all the possible troubleshooting steps, however this has not helped to fix the issue. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support so that they can remotely take control of your PC and help you check the settings.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'll try to call them later today, although I don't have the money for their solution that requires payment, so hopefully their free solution can help fix it.

HP Recommended

Hi @2112lamneth,

Thank you for replying,

Please go ahead and try to contact our HP phone support team and I'm sure they would be able to assist you with the issue.

If you come across any issues, please don't hesitate to reach us. I'll be more than glad to help you.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.