Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro P1102w
Other

HP's LaserJet Pro P1102w printer drivers (download) fail to install on macOS 12.0.1 or later. Attempting to install them displays the error:

This update requires macOS 12.0 or earlier.

paulschreiber_0-1640800207510.png

Timeline

• macOS 12.0.1 was released on October 25, 2021.
  • HP's drivers (5.1) were were released on October 27, 2021.
  • Previous thread ("Hp printer driver for Macos Monterey 12.0.1 not available") October 11, 2021. Support agent @Kumar0307 failed to escalate this to engineering and falsely suggested the driver would work with 12.0.1; it does not.
  • macOS 12.1 was released on December 13, 2021.
  • As of December 29, 2021, HP has not released a fix.

The problem is due to the Distribution script in the installer. It looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<installer-gui-script minSpecVersion="1">
<options hostArchitectures="x86_64"/>
<title>SU_TITLE</title>
<script/>
<installation-check script="InstallationCheck()"/>
<license file="License.rtf"/>
<choices-outline>
<line choice="manual"/>
</choices-outline>
<choice id="manual" title="SU_TITLE">
<pkg-ref id="HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers" auth="Root" packageIdentifier="com.apple.pkg.HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers">#HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg</pkg-ref>
</choice>
<script>
function InstallationCheck(prefix) {
if (system.compareVersions(system.version.ProductVersion, '12.0') &gt; 0) {
my.result.message = system.localizedStringWithFormat('ERROR_25CBFE41C7', '12.0');
my.result.type = 'Fatal';
return false;
}
return true;
}
</script>
<pkg-ref id="HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers" installKBytes="933742" version="10.6.0.1.1.1602826228"/>
</installer-gui-script>

The script is checking for 12.0 instead of 13.0.

The workaround is described in a macrumors thread: run these commands in Terminal:

curl -o ~/Downloads/hpdrivers.dmg https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2020/macos/001-41745-20201210-DBC9B46B-88B2-4032-87D9-449AF1D20804/Hew...

hdiutil attach ~/Downloads/hpdrivers.dmg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/HP_PrinterSupportManual/HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg ~/Downloads/hp-expand

hdiutil eject /Volumes/HP_PrinterSupportManual

sed -i '' 's/12.0/13.0/' ~/Downloads/hp-expand/Distribution

pkgutil --flatten ~/Downloads/hp-expand ~/Downloads/HP_Drivers_12.pkg

rm -R ~/Downloads/hp-expand

Then open the newly-created HP_Drivers_12.pkg and install it.

PS The forum software doesn't yet list macOS 12 as an option:

paulschreiber_0-1640800951910.png

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have the P1102 and MacOS 12.1 with this same issue. I ran the script as suggested in the MacRumors threat (as it seemed to make sense). I got past the install warning and it claims to have installed. However, it does not show up in my printer list or appear to be working. 

In my past, I created lots of installers often having to extend to support future technology. However, given that they set an install attribute to limit to 12.0 or less, this was either intentional with a good reason or sloppy oversight. 

Hope they address this so I can use my HP printer again. Not sure I will stick with HP if I have to buy other. 

HP Recommended

100% sloppiness. There was no good reason to release a version limited to 12.0 after 12.0.1 had already been released.

HP Recommended

Do we have an update for this problem? Has anyone solved the problem? 

HP Recommended

@Linch88 I described the workaround in my post.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.