Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Pro 6458
iOS

Out of the box HP Envy Pro 6458

Power up, put ink in, download app to my basic iPhone 10 iOS device

Wifi light is flashing a slow flashing blue, light under the tray is a rolling blue with an orange blink (hope that makes sense), no other panel lights are on

TRIAL ONE:  HPSmart app setup

Walk through app, it tells me to select the wireless network "HP-Setup-...", but this does not exist in my wifi list.  I checked 2 MacOS computers and another iPhone as well.  There is NO WIRELESS NETWORK CALLED "HP-Setup-..."

There is, however, locked wireless networks called "DIRECT-BO-HP ENVY Pro 6400" and "HP-Print-29-Officejet Pro 8620'", but again these are password-protected so I don't know how to connect to them.

TRIAL TWO:  WPS setup

My router has WPS capability

Follow instructions here:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06557114

"3. On the back of the printer, press and hold the Wireless button and the Power button at the same time for 3 seconds"

"4. On the router, press and hold the WPS button for 3 to 5 seconds or until it shows that the WPS connection process has started."

RESULT:  printer shuts down, no change in lights, just...nothing good.  

So, its not sending out the right wireless network to connect with, and its unable to drop into WPS mode.

WHAT NOW??

Help please?  These "simple setups" are getting more and more complicated every day

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@rmmccarthy, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are trying to connect the printer to the wireless network. Let us try these steps:

  

1.) Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete, and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks! 

  

2.) Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices is using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best. 

  

3.) Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it. 

  

4.) Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source. 

Restart the wireless router, the printer, and the PC

• If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both networks.
  • Check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.
  • Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.
  • Make sure the printer and the iPhone are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4 or 5GHz network.

Try the WPS setup again. The wireless light on the control panel turns on solid once the printer is connected.

Note: DIRECT-BO-HP ENVY Pro 6400 - is the wifi direct network created by the printer. The default password is 12345678.

For more info, refer to - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@rmmccarthy, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are trying to connect the printer to the wireless network. Let us try these steps:

  

1.) Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete, and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks! 

  

2.) Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices is using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best. 

  

3.) Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it. 

  

4.) Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source. 

Restart the wireless router, the printer, and the PC

• If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both networks.
  • Check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.
  • Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.
  • Make sure the printer and the iPhone are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4 or 5GHz network.

Try the WPS setup again. The wireless light on the control panel turns on solid once the printer is connected.

Note: DIRECT-BO-HP ENVY Pro 6400 - is the wifi direct network created by the printer. The default password is 12345678.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The most important thing you gave me here is this:

Because, with that link I discovered this:

Printers with buttons only: Print a report that lists the Wi-Fi Direct printer name and password. Use a method that matches the buttons on your printer.
  • Press the Information button 

to print the report.

• Press and hold the Wi-Fi Direct button 

for 3 seconds to print the report.

• Press the Wireless 

and Information buttons 

And that taught me the valuable lesson that OF COURSE the information about the printer is RIGHT THERE IN THE PRINTER, you just need to know the magic combination to have it print out about itself.  With that I was able to understand two things:

1. there is a TINY wifi setup button the the back that I wasn't pressing

2. I didn't need to switch wifi networks because the printer shows up in my app once that little button was pressed.

THANKS! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.