Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP 2652
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to reinstall an old printer on a new computer and I keep getting a popup that says a "custom printer password has been set on this device". I don't remember what password I used (I've tried all the ones I could think of) and I can't access the admin page to setup this printer without that access.

How do I factory reset this printer or the admin password so I can actually use this device?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Hillary8, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand you are trying to connect the printer to the wireless network. Follow the steps from this document - Connecting an HP Printer Using Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)

For the EWS page, we have to perform a factory reset

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

@Hillary8, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand you are trying to connect the printer to the wireless network. Follow the steps from this document - Connecting an HP Printer Using Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)

For the EWS page, we have to perform a factory reset

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw. It's disconnected from all networks and I can't reach the printer via wifi. I am a Mac user with macOS Big Sur version 11.6.

I have been searching the www for 2 days now with YouTube videos and I paid for HP support in Sweden that was not in function any more. Do I have to buy a new printer?

HP Recommended

@Marcosi

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

If you do not remember the Admin password, we will have to perform a factory reset on the printer to resolve this issue. Once done, you will have to reconnect the printer to the computer wirelessly.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello. Need the same procedure. Would be great to have it documented, as it can happen to anybody on any device. HP Ink Tank 415. Regular support couldn't help, and now I'm just able to use the printer on a USB.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@nommr
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details

• Did you make any changes to your printer? 
  • Could you share the screen where it's asking for the password? 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Here's the screenshot. This is the password I forgot. That's why I want to do a factory reset. Every device allows you to, but I cannot find how to do it on the printer. Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 23.23.24.png

HP Recommended

@nommr

Thank you for posting back.

Let's try this:

Press the Wireless button and the Cancel button from the printer control panel at the same time, and then hold them for three seconds.

Keep me posted! 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Lubudubu

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. No, that's not the issue. I need a factory reset, not a WiFi password reset.

Sadly, I have done that step thinking it was a full reset, but it isn't. Now I cannot configure my printer by any means. The system password doesn't allow me to do anything. I can only use it as a USB as the system password is requested for everything, even to clear the Printer from the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.