Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My printer had a  message on its screen saying that there was a software update available, so I decided to update it. Once it had finished updating, the system rebooted as usual. However, after about 10 seconds of the printer being on, an error appeared reading: "79 Service Error, Turn off then on." The printer automatically rebooted, but the problem still remained. Now the printer is stuck in a boot loop and continues to display the error. I was able to do a cold reset, which appeared to resolve the issue, but as soon as I connected the printer to my local network again and attempted to print a document, the error returned. It continues to be stuck in a boot loop even after I manually cycle it off/on and clear the print queue. I am guessing the new update is the cause. Is there a way to go back to the previous version? Or is it a different problem? Thanks!

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

I am having the exact same error. 

Like you, I tried clearing all print queues attached to the computer as well as turning on and off the local network router. (I saw these support measures mentioned in several other '79 service error' q&a's) --- they did not work at all.

My error also began as soon as I downloaded the new update (I updated today, 11/05/2020). I am also using a Mac. I'm hoping they get an answer with a good solution too as I work from home and the printer is a requirement for what I do.

HP Recommended

Same here.. I updated, and now as soon as my printer is connected to the network, I get the 79 error bootloop. If I disconnect it from the network, it works fine connected only by USB.  The instant I plug in the network cable, problems. I've noticed a couple other threads saying the same thing, so we're not all crazy.

HP Recommended

I solved the issue for me at least. I figured out, that the printer shut down as soon as it connected to the wifi. I set a new password, so the printer couldn't connect, turned off the network connection at the printer and re connected with "new" wifi. now its working 🙂

HP Recommended

Do you think they are going to figure it out and let us know how to fix it or are the printers now shot?

HP Recommended

I was too fast, it took just longer to shut down again 😞 For now I can at least print on usb

HP Recommended

I sincerely hope they do..  Now that more people are commenting on it, hopefully they'll get a clue.

HP Recommended

Took a while but I have fixed mine now

Good idea to unplug network and make sure updates are turned off after the downgrade.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190822151251/https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/FW_CPE_Consumer...

HP Recommended

We have the exact same issue since the update on a mac. Nothing has worked to fix this issue. Right now it is not connected to our network and it is not continually rebooting. We need to be able to print wirelessly. This is frustrating.

HP Recommended

Is that file the previous software version? If so, how did you go about installing it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.