Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdwvilion 6530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have had this printer (HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdw) for just over a year with trouble free operation. We sent a print job to the printer via wireless network. Printer screen showed request to update, we allowed update to proceed. Printer now shows "79 Service error Turn off then on" message and re-boots. If I turn off wireless on the printer, error message does not occur, but if I turn on wireless, error occurs. If I connect printer using print cable with wireless off, error occurs when print job sent to printer. HELP!  Thank You. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

SAME ISSUE. PLEASE HELP!

HP Recommended

Same here, but I haven't tried to print anything - and there seem to be a few other posts about the same problem.

Turning wifi off fixes the issue for me... but makes the printer useless.

Anyone managed to fix?

HP Recommended

Out of desperation, I tried an NVRAM reset.

Now when the printer starts up it just says "Engine communication error"

Looks like HP have turned my nice printer into a very expensive breeze block 😞

HP Recommended

I am cuatiously optimistic that I have found a way to fix this.

I think that the fix is to disable IPv6 support, which can be done from the printer's menu whilst there is no network connected.

I did a number of other things in trying to fix this, but I'm almost certain that wasa the one that got it working again.

If somebody else is able to try this and confirm it works or not I'd appreciate knowing.

HP Recommended

I have three printers at my office that have all had this happen to, 1 lost all it's settings in that recent update and then the black toner cartridge that is ONLY HP, was flagged as not genuine now.

HP Recommended

We have had this printer (HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdw) for just over a year with trouble free operation. We sent a print job to the printer via wireless network. Printer screen showed request to update, we allowed update to proceed. Printer now shows "79 Service error Turn off then on" message and re-boots. If I turn off wireless on the printer, error message does not occur, but if I turn on wireless, error occurs. If I connect printer using print cable with wireless off, error occurs when print job sent to printer.

We feel it's because of the update that happened.

Please HELP!  Thank You. 

HP Recommended

Where on the printers menu is IPv6 support? Please be a bit more specific as I can't disable it if I can't find it. About to take a sledge hammer to the printer.

HP Recommended

So can anyone tell me what turning off the IVp6 will do to my printer? Because it seems that this fixed the issue for me as well!! 

HP Recommended

I found it under setup menu, then Network setup. When you clock network setup you’ll next click network services. Under network services you’ll see IPv4 and IPv6. I clicked on IPv6 and then clicked off. Now my printer is working again!! Thank you to the genius that figured this out!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.