Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet F380
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I recently got this error when trying to print:

One or more components of the HP printing software are corrupted or missing. The print job cannot be completed. To fix this situation, HP recommends reinstalling the print driver software.

It also says "Stopped - 'Filter' failed, 1 page"

I did not have any driver installed as this printer shows up when it's plugged into the computer and I can just add it to my list of printers. But after getting this message I did download the driver. It still gives me this error. So I uninstalled the driver, updated computer, reinstalled driver... I still get this error. Not sure what to do... Thanks!

Post edit:

This is not solved but it seems this is what is causing the issue:

https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/23/hp_printer_macos/ 

There is a work around for those who have a wireless connection to their printer (see posts) but basically:

Uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to your printer.

Those of us who have to connect by USB have to wait for this to be fixed, or some below have said you can create a generic driver that allows you to print with limited functions but I haven’t tried this yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finally, I can print again! Nothing that worked for others worked for me so basically I was waiting for HP to update the driver or something. I checked my driver page again today and it was updated yesterday. After deleting the old driver completely I installed the new driver and it is fixed!! My driver is the 5.1 here is the link for those needing this one: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/closure/hp-deskjet-f300-all-in-one-printer-series/1...

For anyone needing a different driver still stuck keep checking your driver every day until you see the release date update. 

View solution in original post

170 REPLIES 170
HP Recommended

I have this exact same issue that suddenly appeared today with an old OfficeJet J4550. Reapplying driver package 5.1 does not work. HP Smart is also unable to find the printer even though it is connected direct via USB

HP Recommended

YES! Also with HP Smart not finding it but my computer separately does recognize it but has the error. I can't find info anywhere on this... If I find a solution I'll post it here. If you find one I would appreciate it if you can let me know!

HP Recommended

I'm getting this too. I get a "Filter Failure" error and the the message you show when I go to the print queue.

I have this problem when trying to print from any of the 3 computers in my household, all of which were printing just fine until the last day or so. Nothing has changed on those machines that should have caused a printing problem.

I did try updating drivers, resetting print system, removing and re-adding the printer, etc. None of that worked.

I also notice that when trying to open the HP Utility, it crashes with exception type "EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)".

"Code Signature Invalid" makes me wonder if one of the HP developer certificates expired or was revoked recently. It might explain why previously working drivers and utilities would suddenly fail like this.

HP Recommended

My wife and I suddenly had exactly this same problem on different machines.  HP - can you please give this attention ASAP?  Lots of families relying on your printers for remote learning right now!

HP Recommended

I am also having this issue this evening! I uninstalled the old driver twice as directed by the virtual help. The printer is most definitely connected wirelessly, as it is recognized. But it will not print and keeps giving this error message. Please help us HP! The fact that we are all having the same problem...what does that mean?

HP Recommended

Having this same problem, someone please help! Came out of nowhere. I use a mac and have updated to the new IOS last week, but my HP Officejet 4300 was working just perfectly two days ago. 

HP Recommended

When I went to download the driver it did say the Apple certificate signature had recently expired. However, I don't believe I was even using a driver before I got this error so I don't think that is necessarily the problem. Idk

HP Recommended

Same issue, I get this message 

"

One or more components of the HP printing software are corrupted or missing. The print job cannot be completed. To fix this situation, HP recommends reinstalling the print driver software." 

along with the filter message. This needs to be fixed ASAP, and FYI a phone number needs to be provided for these virtual help agents, I want to talk to someone. 

HP Recommended

Yes, Ive got a 'Filter' Failed message and  an alert that 'One or more components of the HP printing software are corrupted or missing'. Also reinstalled the printer drivers, rebooted, reset the printing system, rebooted, no resolution. 

Not sure what options are left - an Apple OS issue or an HP printer driver with Catalina?

HP advice appreciated

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.