Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get an 'error - printing' message in the printer dialogue window, against all documents/files sent to my printer - even test document - with no indication as to why. Have run diagnostics and it says there is no problem. Have restarted printer, again with no resolution. Any ideas please!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This morning (4th May) took decision to remove device from list of printers and scanners ((on Windows10) settings > devices > printers & scanners; click on device name and then 'Remove Device' button). I then added it back to the list using the option at top of the 'printers & scanners' listing - seems to have worked. Hoping that this is a permanent fix! Thanks for help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Should have said - I can scan using HPSmart, and I can copy using printer button. The issue is not network or printerhead/ink related.

HP Recommended

@Graham6low

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Could you please share the picture of the error message?
  • Did you make any changes to your printer? 
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Snip of Error message within the printer dialogue window.

Graham6low_0-1651321647188.png

I get this message for all docs/photos, even when tying to print the test message or the simple pdf within HPSmart.

As far as I am aware there have been no changes made since last week (when it last worked). As previously posted, 'copy' works from the printer button and scanning works from within the HPSmart app.

I am wondering if I should simply delete the printer and reinstall?

Thanks for the help

Graham

HP Recommended

@Graham6low

Thank you for posting back. 

This issue can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as power outages, but always involves the print job spooling process in Windows.
Firstly, ensure the printer is connected to the active internet network. 

To resolve this problem, let's try these steps: 

• Turn off the printer using the power button.
  • Search Windows for run, and click the Run Windows application in the list of results.
  • Type services.msc in the Run window, and then press Enter on the keyboard.
  • The Services menu opens.
  • Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.
  • Figure : Example of stop selection for Print Spooler Service
  •  Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.
  • After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.
  • Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Turn on your printer.
  • Try printing again and note what happens.
  • If the printer prints, you are done.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo, sorry didn't work - I still get the same 'error - printing' message in the Printer Dialogue window.

Cheers

Graham

HP Recommended

This morning (4th May) took decision to remove device from list of printers and scanners ((on Windows10) settings > devices > printers & scanners; click on device name and then 'Remove Device' button). I then added it back to the list using the option at top of the 'printers & scanners' listing - seems to have worked. Hoping that this is a permanent fix! Thanks for help.

HP Recommended

@Graham6low

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.