Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

My printer has been printing in only black and white just recently. I have had it print in colour before and can't think of how I could have changed the settings.  

Usually I would just look in the page setup/printer options and (un)check the box for printing in colour. However I cannot see this box anywhere in the options - even in advanced. I've attached a screengrap in case I have somehow missed it. 

print.png

I've also been looking up for suggestions on the forums, and have found most responses say to reinstall drivers. I have done this but still no change. 

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I contacted HP support and had the wonderful Grace help sort out my issues. She uninstalled and reinstalled my printer, and even secured my IP connection.

Would highly recommend this when you have run out of options. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @HMoreton,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to print in color from your HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer.

This issue could occur if the color cartridge may be empty or defective.

Let's go through a few steps to fix this issue.

You may also follow the link: Color Ink Not Printing

Let me know how this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
I just replaced the colour ink thinking it had run out/was low. But still having the same problem.

The test page that came from replacing the cartridge was printing the colour fine. But when I go to print any picture or document it only prints black and white.
HP Recommended

Hi @HMoreton,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue has not resolved even after replacing the cartridges and also the test page prints in color.

This issue requires one to one interaction over the phone to troubleshoot the issue.

Hence, please contact HP phone support from this link: http://hp.com/contacthp
You may select the country and type the product# of the computer and then follow the on-screen instructions to contact HP phone support.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
I had the same issue. Nothing resolved it. So i just reset tbe printer to factory and deleted the printer completely off my completely then reinstall it. And it worked!!! Hope this helps
HP Recommended

I contacted HP support and had the wonderful Grace help sort out my issues. She uninstalled and reinstalled my printer, and even secured my IP connection.

Would highly recommend this when you have run out of options. 

HP Recommended

Hi @HMoreton,

I understand that the issue resolved after the phone support team uninstalled and reinstalled the software.

I also appreciate your time and patience.

Feel free to ask your queries in future as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.