Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 6500A
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Dear Sir

I have an HP OfficeJet 6500A All-in-One printer that stopped working with compatible ink cartridges after automatic upgrade to the latest firmware .

I consider that the situation is illegal in terms of law, because it was without my consent and the printer is owned by me and not owned by HP.

I would like to do a firmware downgrade or alternatively that HP will provide me with a new firmware that will fix this problem.

This one FW: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-6500a-e-all-in-one-printer-series-e710...
i can´t downgrade.

Carefully,

Stepan

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Sorry, that printer never had the firmware security issue what was fixed.

This Post pertains to the following OfficeJet products listed in the following table that has new firmware that disables the cartridge security affecting cartridges using Non-HP security chips.  If your printer is not listed here, it is not affected.

See here.  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Dedicated-to-the-best-printing-experience/m-p/5783870/h...

Product series

Compatible Inkjet Cartridges

Firmware Availability Date

OfficeJet Pro 6230 series

HP 934 and HP 935

12-Oct

OfficeJet 6810/6820 series

HP 934 and HP 935

12-Oct

OfficeJet Pro 6830 series

HP 934 and HP 935

12-Oct

OfficeJet Pro 8610/8615/8616/8620/8625/8630/8640/8660 series

HP 950 and HP 951

12-Oct

OfficeJet Pro X451dn/dw, X476dn/dw, X551dw, X576dw

HP 970 and HP 971

17-Oct

The optional firmware update to remove dynamic security is now available. For more information and direct links to the firmware updates, see Dynamic Security Feature Affecting Use of Non-HP Cartridges here.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05308850

HP Recommended

OK, so how can i downgrade FW for my Printer?
Because after update is not working because of non-original cartridges.

Thank you.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Just to add to sabertooth04's posts, the lastest release for the HP Officejet 6500 e710 was released in November of 2016.  The firmware version is CIP1FN1621AR.  You can confirm that your printer is running that version of firmware by looking at the printer's web pages, or by printing the Printer Status Report.

We typically don't recommend downgrading firmware once an update has been installed.  There can be unintended side effects when one does so.  The 1621A firmware release focused on several networking security enhancements, and compatibility with the Microsoft Edge and I.E. 11 web browsers.

Carl

I am an employee of HP Inc.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hello,

The hp AIO 6500A (e710) is not on the table you sent, and the last firmware for it is indeed from 2016 (CIP1FN1621AR), but after the firmware was upgraded to that firmware the printer doesn't work at all, and just shows the message: "The Printhead installed is not intended for use in this printer, or is damaged" - only because there are compatible ink catridges in it.

I also understand that you don't recommend to downgrade the firmware, but it is the only way to make the printer work (except to buy a very expensive original ink catridges).

so please let us know:

HOW DO WE DOWNGRADE THE FIRMWARE OF THE PRINTER ?   or:

HOW DO WE CANCEL THE UPGRADE OF THAT FIRMWARE ?   or:

HOW DO WE RETURN THE PRINTER TO THE FACTORY ORIGINAL FIRMWARE ?

FYI:

(1) For some reason HP doesn't include in it's website previous firmware beside that mensioned above, and there was no archieve found of previous versions of any HP software - and it seems it's on purpose.

(2) I have a technical background and only after a very long search I found on other website older version of the printer firmware, but when I tryed to install it I got a message that it's not applicable - well done, HP programmers prevented even that, so the users will have to buy a very expensive original ink catridges.

(3) I used those catridges untill the firmware was updated and they worked fine; I used similar catridges before those and they also worked fine; I am still using similar catridges on another printer (that it's firmware was not updated) and they also work fine - so don't bother to relate them in your answer.

I expect a fast and efficent answer and not another evasive one, because the printer is completely disabled.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.