Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5055
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I replaced my black ink cartridge less than two weeks ago, printed about 20 pages of documents, and the black cartridge is now shown as nearly empty. 

In the HP Smart program I cannot find how many pages have been printed since the cartridge was installed, but I was able to find the lifetime total number of pages printed and the total cartridges used:

- 6 cartridges

- 865 pages

This equals 144 pages per cartridge on average.  This seems unbelievably low, especially because at least one or two of those cartridges was an "XL."  And I cannot understand how two weeks of very light use (mostly children's worksheets for school) would consume a new cartridge.

Any assistance appreciated.  I have applied the latest firmware updates (VERBASPP1N003.2025A.00).

The printer has great features, but it is not cost-effective at ~20 sheets per cartridge ($16 / 20 == 80cents per page).

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Just-E wrote:

... The printer has great features, but it is not cost-effective at ~20 sheets per cartridge ($16 / 20 == 80cents per page).

@Just-E 

Very hard to say because depending on coverage of a page/sheet. Standard coverage is 5%, when you print in bold, larger fonts .... the number of pages for each cartridge will reduce.

For example 1 cartridge can print 150 pages (standard coverage) but would only give 75 pages when using 10% coverage ...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.