Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I just bought a HP ENVY 5540 printer.  I've spent almost 7 hours trying to get this printer setup.  The wireless light on the printer is solid.  I've tried everything to get this printer to print.  Print Failure comes up.  But, I can print the HP test page.  Does anyone have any similar problems with the Envy 5540?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the forum. Can you try the following:

Please Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR) tool to diagnose and fix your problem

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e016-1&h_keyword=dg-PDU

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the forum. Can you try the following:

Please Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR) tool to diagnose and fix your problem

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e016-1&h_keyword=dg-PDU

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

What about those of us on Mac OSX?

HP Recommended

Indeed, what are the options for the Mac users? We have an HP Envy 5545, brand new, connected via USB to OS X 10.8.5 Mac Mini. Installed the EasyStart basic software, and now we can at least scan. But issuing a print job results in the job clearing the queue very quickly, and then "printing..." in the little LCD on the printer, but no actual printing.

Rebooted, removed printer queue and re-added, power cycled the printer, System Preferences>Print&Scan>right-click>Reset Printing System all done, none of it has helped.

HP Recommended

For what its worth, I did one last pass with all the major elements in the following order, and seems to have worked.

Power printer on, 

run Easy Setup and install the Envy 5545 driver basic software

Reboot

Power off printer.

Remove the printer queue from System Preferences > Print  & Scan

Right-click Reset printing system

Reboot

Power on Printer

Print queue will be added with correct print drivers

Print & Scan > Option & Supplies > Utility > open printer utility

Test > print test page

So maybe it is something to do with intalling drivers but not having OS X actually use them because it already had  generic drivers (which the envy seemingly doesn't work with) installed.

Good luck, fellow Mac OS X users!

HP Recommended

Hi @imasnow,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Thanks for sharing your tip with the fellow Mac users!

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

I was using the HP 5540 Driver, not the generic one. I'll give your steps a try today and cross my fingers!

HP Recommended

@bobzmail wrote:

I just bought a HP ENVY 5540 printer.  I've spent almost 7 hours trying to get this printer setup.  The wireless light on the printer is solid.  I've tried everything to get this printer to print.  Print Failure comes up.  But, I can print the HP test page.  Does anyone have any similar problems with the Envy 5540?

I battled with an HP Envy 5540 for the same amount of time. Finally, after a failed chat, I called support, a tech gave me alternate driver - after pleading with him and allowing him to waste another hour of my life.

The alternate driver that worked for me on a Vista OS is HP Deskjet Pro 8600.  

Find it here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-Pro-8600-e-All-in-One-Printer-series---N9/4322914/m...

HP Recommended
I have purchased back in November a envy 5547. Been a nightmare from day one. Get a friend to help get in printing which it does for a while, paper runs out and says there is a problem!! So again no ******printer. I'm wasting hours and hours of my life!!! It will print direct anything to do with technical. But from HP laptop nothing yet again. I live in Spain and self employed so have to do accounts and print them off!!! No chance at the moment!
HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  When I purchased the Envey 5540, I had no trouble installing, printing, scanning or copying.  After not using the devise for 2 weeks, it continued to copy and print but not print wirelessly.  The error message "printer off-line" persisted.  Once I used the Scan Doctor, the problem was diagnosed as "Paper out" although there was paper in it.  Finally what cleared all error messages was following the directions to power off, open the device, check for jammed paper (none), and power on.  Lo and behold it prints wirelessly now.  I am disappointed that I spent 45 minutes following HPs directions on line.  I would have preferred speaking with a tech over the phone.  I've been a faithful HP 3-in-1 user for many years due to its simplicity.  Unfortunately, this model is not as dummy-proof as its predecessors.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.