Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP all in one desktop computer (purchased 2019) with an HP Envy 5540 printer. The printer is operated wireless. I am operating Windows 10. I no longer have the option to select "color" printing only "black and white". I used to be able to print in color but not any more. I would appreciate some help as this problem is impacting work significantly!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

go to control panel
devices and printers
go to printer properties
ports tab
check what port is selected
if WSD port is selected then
look for any standart TCP/IP port with the printer IP and select that.
apply OK, then try
if you dont have a Standard TCP/IP port with the printer IP then add a new port
(you need to have the printer IP handy)
Add port>
standard TCP/IP port
new port
click next on the wizard
put the printer IP address and complete the setup
then select that port and try again, yo should have the color option.

Hope this helps

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Silvyg:

I have  tried your specified fix without success. I still cannot print in color.

When I first tried the proposed fix, I was unable to access my MS Office suite. I have solved that probem but still have no access to color printing. I am frustrated and hope you have another possible solution.

Thank you.

Ron Kienholz

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.