Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5546 & HP All-in-One 22
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new HP PC but I am unable to print in color on my HP ENVY 5546. My existing Dell laptop can print in color.

The difference appears to be that when I call up the Printer Properties on the HP PC there is no ability to choose between Color and Black & White printing.  This option exists on the Dell laptop printer properties.

I have uninstalled the software following instructions on another post including uninstalling the driver. Upon re-installing the software from the HP web site the problem still exists.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try a clean install. 
First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
Go to Control panel – Programs and features – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
Go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entry and remove the device.
Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - type printui.exe /s

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - type c:/programdata

Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - type %temp%

Delete all the files in the temp directory that you can

Restart your computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Try a clean install. 
First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
Go to Control panel – Programs and features – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
Go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entry and remove the device.
Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - type printui.exe /s

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - type c:/programdata

Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - type %temp%

Delete all the files in the temp directory that you can

Restart your computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

This has not worked. The option to select between Colour and Greyscale is not showing in the printer properties like it is on my other device.

HP Recommended

Try installing just the basic driver software.

HP Recommended

I have only been installing the basic driver as I do not like the bloatware that comes with these products.  i followed another blog which suggested this was a fault with recent driver updates from HP. I ran the uninstall process suggested in the earlier response and then installed the driver from April 2017. Same problem, no option to select color or grayscale.

HP Recommended

Have you tried contacting HP support?

HP Recommended

I think HP Support may be my only option although looking at the number of disgruntled users on various blogs who have tried that to no avail I do not rate my chances. I followed another link suggesting I uninstall the HP drivers and use the Win10 one. That also has the same problem.

HP Recommended

Did you remove the 5540 in Devices and Printers b4 installing the basic driver?

HP Recommended

A new day dawns and as I had not heard back from Support I decided to try a fresh install of driver again. I have done nothing different today from what I was doing yesterday evening but miraculously the problem is solved and I now have the choice of printing in Colour in the printer properties. 

I feel i lost several hours of my life over this!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.