Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

This thing happened to me, but the uninstall/reinstall did not fix it.  Any other suggestions?  The test pages still print out fine, but nothing else will print in color, regardless of the software program or the preferences chosen within various programs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Goodcat

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

I understand you are not able to print in color from your PC. Let us try these steps:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing in color.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

161 REPLIES 161
HP Recommended

@AlliGail,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support community!

• Are you able to make a copy in color?
  • From which device are you printing? Is that a Windows or a MAC?

Please provide the above information to assist you with an accurate solution.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, it would copy in color and the test page prints in color, too.  

Windows 10 computer.

Ink levels are both above 75%.

HP Recommended

@AlliGail,

It looks like it could be an issue with the printer driver.

Let's try uninstalling the printer and re-installing the printer driver at the root level. This may fix the issue.

• In Windows, search for 'Control Panel' and open 'Programs' or 'Programs and features' and select 'Uninstall a Program'.
  • Select your HP Printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for 'Control Panel' and look for 'View devices and printers'option under 'Hardware and Sound'.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'.
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)
  • Click on the "Drivers" tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select Ok.
  • Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
  • Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Download the printer driver and install it from this link. Open the downloaded file, follow onscreen instructions and complete installation
  • Try printing from your PC again and check if you can print.

Let me know if this helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, but I tried that before I reached out and it didn't work.  However, I tried it again, just to be on the safe side, but it is still not working for me.

HP Recommended

@AlliGail,

Please check if the 'Print in Grayscale' option is enabled.

1. On your computer, search Windows for Devices and Printers.

2. Right-click your printer, and then select Printing Preferences from the drop-down list.

3. Select your printer again, and then click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.

• To print using only the black ink cartridge, change one of the following settings depending on what displays.

• Click Advanced, click Print in Grayscale

• Disable the 'Print in Grayscale' option

4. Click OK to complete the change.

5. Try to print again

Let me know what happens.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, but it was set to color. 

HP Recommended

@AlliGail,

Have you tried printing from a different computer or a phone?

Let's try installing the Hp Smart App and check.

Refer to this document.

Install the HP Smart app.

Try to print from the HP Smart app and check if it works.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, but, yes.  We had  tried it from 4 different laptops, 3 iPads, a desktop, and a couple of phones - all printed in b/w.  We also changed out the colored ink cartridge for a new one, just in case - despite the reported ink level - it was out/low/clogged, etc.     

As of about 30 minutes ago, the printer has stopped responding to us at all.  I tried to unplug & replug it in, remove the power cord, reset it, etc.  It was turning on, but it would not print anything for the whole afternoon.  Now I cannot even get it to turn on.  I'm still not sure what was wrong with it, but it appears that the lack of color printing may have been a precursor to a more serious issue.  I think that I will simply have to look for a new printer.

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

@AlliGail,

Try to perform a Power Reset, it may power up the printer.

• Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. Wait at least 60 seconds
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector.
  • Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

If the printer turns on, try to print a printer quality report to check if the printer prints color.

• Load letter or A4 unused plain white paper into the paper tray. b.
  • From the printer control panel, touch Setup
  • Touch Tools 
  • Touch Print Quality Report

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.