Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Every day or two, my printer goes offline.  The only solution is to turn off the printer, and turn it back on.

I had a Canon printer previously and never had this issue.

I presume there is a setup option on either my printer or my PC that I can change to fix this.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that your HP Officejet Pro 8610 Printer keeps going offline. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution' if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I understand the frustration you're experiencing. It sounds like you might be experiencing an IP address conflict or port conflict.

Here's a document I suggest you try:

If the issues persists please try this document:

If you're still experiencing issues, continue on.

Next, assign the printer a static IP address. The document 'Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection' will show how to setup a static IP address. It is a good idea to assign the printer a static IP address outside your DHCP range. For example, some routers DHCP default range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200. So, I would use 192.168.0.232.

While in the EWS, open the Network tab and select IPv4.

Set the manual DNS on the printer.

• Set the Primary DNS as 8.8.8.8
  • And the Secondary DNS as 8.8.4.4
  • Click OK.

Try switching your printer port from using the WSD to a Standard TCP/IP port. 

To do this, you will need your printer's current IP address.  The Network Configuration page shows the network settings for the product. To Print this page; Press the Network button () on the product control panel.

Next, you will want to do the following to switch the port:

1. Locate and open Devices and Printers.
2. Right click on your printer icon and choose Printer Properties.

CP1.png

3. Click on the Ports tab along the top of the page.

4. Click on the Add Port... button.

CP2.png

5. If you have the option for HP Standard TCP/IP Port, select it otherwise just select the Standard TCP/IP Port.

6. Click the New Port... button.

CP3.png

7. Click Next > button in the wizard.

CP4.png

8. Enter your printer's current IP address from your Network Configuration page. Note: The Port Name will auto-populate. I would recommend putting a check mark in the box; Always print to this device, even if it's IP address changes.

9. Click Next > button in the wizard.

CP5.png

10. Click the Finish button.

CP6.png

11. This may take you back to this Printer Ports window,

12. Select the port you configured and click Configure Port

13.Uncheck SNMP Status Enabled.

14. Then Click OK and Apply in the Properties Window. 

15. Try it and see if this resolves this issue you are experiencing.

If all else fails try, Installing Your Printer Driver Using the Windows Built-in Solution.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.  I will go through the steps and see what I come up with.

To clarify a couple of points....I have 2 Windows 10 laptops and 1 Windows 7 laptop on the same network needing

access to the printer.  They all experience the same "printer offline" issue.  So it is not specifically a WIndows 10

issue.

Also, this started after I put in my new HP printer.  My previous network printer was a Canon and never had any 

issues like this.   That is why I suspect there is something with my printer settings, not my settings on my PC's.

Unless the HP printer is more sensitive to network settings than my previous Canon was.

It seems odd to me that I have to go through all this on EACH PC in my network in order to get reliable 

printing capabilities.

If this helps narrow down what you feel I should try, let me know.   Thanks.

HP Recommended

Tried suggestions.  Only thing that gets printer working is power down and power up.  Then it works for maybe a day before going offline again.  All 3 laptops experience the same.   2 x Windows 10 and 1 x Windows 7.

Any other suggestions?   

HP Recommended

I'm having a very similar situation, except that I had my HP8610 for about a year, and it worked with no difficulties. Now, nearly every time I go to print, if I haven't printed yet that day, I get the message that the printer is off-line. If I turn off the printer and then turn it back on, it's fine -- until the next day, when I get the same message and have to shutdown/restart the printer once again. I'm hoping there is a simple solution to get back to where I was until about a month ago, when I never received this off-line message. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@RLShadow

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8610 and it appears to be offline when you try to print. You have to restart the printer to make it to work. I'll surely help you with this case.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• What operating system are you using?
  • Is the printer connected via USB or wirelessly?
  • If it is a wireless connection does the printer print from other computers?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If you're  using Windows then please perform the steps as described in detail from this link.

For Mac use this link

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Having the same issues as described in this thread.  Have followed the instructions listed above and powering down and back up does bring the 8610 Pro back online ready state and is connected wireless to the router.  This has just recently in the past few months started.  All seems to work through-out the day but seems like long no use activity puts the printer back in offline line mode.  This printer is used by all my devices in the house and connects to 3 different Laptop/Desktops all running windows 10.  Also my mobile devices utilize the printer and it willbe offline to them as well.  Android and IOS devices.  So it would seem the issue is in the printer or perhaps the router that is placing the device offline status requiring a power down and restart of the printer.  Extremely frustating to find the printer offline when I have que a item to print and them have to go through the processes to try and get it back online. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @Bob-02 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! I’d like to help!

I understand that you are facing printer offline issues on your HP printer.

Do not worry, we have a new HP Print Scan Doctor application which is capable of fixing the specific printer offline issues. Download the PSDR and follow the steps below:

Download link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Steps:

1. Run PSDR v5.0.2
  2. Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status.
  3. Select the correct Printer and click on Next.
  4. PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing
  5. Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page.
  6. Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on NO PRINT”
  7. PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot.
  8. Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issue. If no issue found close PSDR.

You can remove the PSDR from your system once done. 

If the issue persists, then let's try to disable the IPv6 on your printer and then assign a public DNS. Here are the steps:

•    Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
•    Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
•    Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
•    Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
•    Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
•    Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Right now when I attempt to print from my HP printer, I get an offline message.  I am able to print from my phone.

This has happened to me before, usually after monkeying around with the modem or wireless adapter.  Although I can't be sure this is the reason.   Especially when it does not seem to be an issue printing from my phone.

When this has happened in the past, I have removed the printer from my devices and reloaded the drivers.  Last time I did this, a lost my scanning ability.  I'm a little concerned about doing this again, especially because I can't be sure I am removing the actual printer software when I delete the printer.

Should I try this again?  Am I doing this the right way?  Any help is appreciated.

HP Recommended

I've been having the same issue with HP 8610 for over two years now.  Tired of having to alway restart the printer to use it.  Going to shop for a new printer but staying away from HP....sadly, because I've always used HP and had no issues until this "flop" was made.  The printer should be recalled and replace by HP!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.