Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Pagewide Pro MFP 477dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer is internally configured to ethernet configuration, and I can't get it to stay at wireless (to be able to access printing and scanning from both Windows 7 Desktop, and Windows 10 laptop PC's). I unplugged the ethernet cable, and found plastic plugs in a couple of the ethernet ports on the printer. I took them all out -- only cable connected to the printer is the power cable. It boots up, wireless is enabled (and I was able to scan and print, even the wireless report prints saying setup is okay), then a couple minutes later, it reverts to ethernet, even though there IS NO ETHERNET CONNECTED! At that point, I try to reset printer back to wireless by selecting Wireless, and printer panel says it cannot enable wireless while ethernet is connected -- but there is no real ethernet connection -- just some internally stubborn configuration saying it's wired! In the minute or two before it reverts to ethernet, I get a perfect wireless connection report and function. As a stopgap measure, I have plugged in the ethernet cable to the laptop and turned off the Win7 desktop -- and followed the HP Doctor instructions on my Win10 laptop for enabling wireless. I get to the point where it says okay, you're all set for wireless, go ahead and unplug the ethernet cord -- and the second I do that, HP Doctor puts up an error window saying connection to printer was lost! 

I know there must be some internal configuration on the printer itself the says it's a wired printer, so I'm trying to figure out how to find that and change the default to wireless. I tried typing in the ethernet IP address in a browser thinking I should get a configuration panel, but it times out (I actually did see the beginnings of a configuration page once, but wasn't sure which of the headings to pick, and when I chose one, it timed out!). 

Anyone have a solution to making this ridiculously expensive computer actually work as advertised!? HELP, PLEASE...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Restore printer to factory defaults, update the firmware.  

In the worst-case scenario, you can disable the wired network from the printers menu that will leave wireless-only. The printer can't have both wireless and wired connection at the same time. It can be wired or wireless.

477 lan.png

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Restore printer to factory defaults, update the firmware.  

In the worst-case scenario, you can disable the wired network from the printers menu that will leave wireless-only. The printer can't have both wireless and wired connection at the same time. It can be wired or wireless.

477 lan.png

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thank you so very much! These hidden admin functions are frustrating, especially when you know they must exist but aren't documented anywhere! My father had Verizon (Wi-Fi) and HP (printer) experts in for hours and nobody knew about this! With your help, I fixed it in two minutes! Bless you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.