Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have a D110a printer and I recently installed Mac OS X Mavericks. After I installed Mavericks, I gave my Mac an HP Printer Software Update. Now, when I go to the HP Scan app, I get a message that reads: Missing or Damaged Software One or more components needed by HP Scan is missing or damaged. Please reinstall the software for your HP device. What do I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi groberts619,

Unfortunately the software you obtain from the Printer Software Update doesn't include the HP Scan application - only the print and scan drivers.  I just checked on your product and it doesn't appear that there are plans to release an updated HP Scan installer for this model.

On Mavericks it seems your best option will be to use Apple's Image Capture scan application.  You can find this application in the /Applications folder.  You also have the option to scan using Preview.  Look in the File menu for the command to import from a scanner.

FretnBoutNutn

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please use the following tips/instructions then try again:

Laserjets: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02241610

Inkjet Windows 7: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080

Inkjet Windows 8: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080

Inkjet Windows Vista: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080

Inkjet Mac: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249334

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi groberts619,

Unfortunately the software you obtain from the Printer Software Update doesn't include the HP Scan application - only the print and scan drivers.  I just checked on your product and it doesn't appear that there are plans to release an updated HP Scan installer for this model.

On Mavericks it seems your best option will be to use Apple's Image Capture scan application.  You can find this application in the /Applications folder.  You also have the option to scan using Preview.  Look in the File menu for the command to import from a scanner.

FretnBoutNutn
HP Recommended

This is not acceptable.  Apple and/or HP have screwed up.  We shouldn't have to change to some work-arounds, which may or may not work.  As it is, none of the workarounds has been satisfactory and I am fuming.  Going back to OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion might be the only way out for me, but the longer I wait, hoping that a real solution will show up, the harder it will be to revert to my old OS.  I've been burned and I'm not going to forget it very easily.

HP Recommended

Is there a new update yet for hp office jet pro 8500 for Mavericks 10.9 for scanning?

HP Recommended
Who is suppose to do this update - HP or Apple?
HP Recommended

Hi sabre4,

HP did not create full feature software and drivers for the 10.7, or 10.8 operating systems and there is no software available for Mavericks for that model.

There are different methods to scan in Mac and in this post by Sunshyn2005 are 3 methods to try.

I hope this helps, let me know.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Advance23, you didn't quite answer sabre4's question, but I gather from your response that the ball belongs in Apple's court.  HP's "full feature" software worked when OSX upgraded to 10.7, and 10.8, but now does not work after an upgrade to 10.9 .  If HP's software properly used the Apple's API and standards, yet fails to work in OSX 10.9 Mavericks, then this does legitimately sound like Apple's problem.  If HP used some "tricks" and didn't abide by Apple's standards, then it sounds like it's HP's problem.

I'm sure that by now Apple and HP have discussed this problem, but I get the feelling that they've mutually decided that it's no big deal because there are other ways to scan.   It would be nice to know if a decision has been made about fixing the problem.  Perhaps it's a problem that is not easy to fix, so the workarounds are there just to tie us over for a while.   But if there's definitely not going to be a fix, then it would be nice to know so that we users can work on how to make do with the best workaround we can find.  In my case, none of the workarounds has been satisfactory so far.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

This problem has been around for several years now. My OfficeJet Pro L7780 All-in-One could scan from the front scan panel for a few months after I bought it for that feature, but then when I upgraded to Lion (I think), it stopped working. It still doesn't work, and I can find nothing on HP's website that explains this. Instead, there are lots of support articles saying I need to install the HP Scan application, but none of them say where I can find it and searching for hours turns up nothing. Pointing the finger at Apple is a sorry excuse for HP's continued failure to make its older printers work as advertised.

HP Recommended

This is definitely a HP issue:

1 - This is not affecting only one model of scanner, search the web for "hp scanner don't work mavericks".
2 - Apple releases developer versions well before the final release. As a hardware manufacturer they should try their hardware and we are talking about HP, not a small company. It is a shame.
3 - The models affected are not under Apple list of compatible hardware (the one that does not need Hp software to work) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669.
4 - HP has released update version for 10.7, 10.8 and not for 10.9.
5 - HP is selling those products as OSX compatible (At least on my case).

We are about a month after Mavericks release and there is no single movement from HP.

As Apple customers, is to talk to Apple to provide an effective hardware accreditation so we don't fall in this situation in the future.

As HP customers, we need to discuss what is their concept of OSX compatibility, Apple will release a major OSX update every year, so compatibility means only until next update? Will you buy a piece of hardware to last only until next year?

One last thing is to forward this issue to as many communication vehicle like blogs, magazines and other so that we can get more visibility on this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.