Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an HP 7160  - how do I open the right side of the printer as you stated in your fix below.  I too am getting this 0xc18a0101 error.  This is so fustrating and really bad timing for this to be happening.  I need this fixed asap and I have no funds to purchase a new one. 

HP Recommended

Thanks HarleyHawk!!

The ribbon cable removal from main board is what did the trick on my D7160 ink error. I had seen, battery removal for 30 minutes,(not bad idea to replace) pushing cancel and OK at same time, slamming lid, turn on turn off, push this and that.  Nothing else worked. The printer preparation is what runs the ink pump.  That ran after HarleyHawks fix. Mine had been sitting for a few years.  I found holes to depress tabs on side covers,  thin flat screwdriver works. T10 torx bit 2 screws rear cover, 4 screws top/frontcover. Ribbon cable disconnect for front cover, so remove rear cover first. That really opens it up and gets to the battery on main board.  Ribbon cables OK from right side cover only, rear cover also frees up to remove sides. Careful and patient!  

HP Recommended

This solution worked for me too on a C6280!

It's basically the same as shybears procedure.

Flat cables are different: 2 white ones and 2 black ones.

The white ones are at the component side of the circuit board, which is turned to the inside of the printer, so they are still hard to reach when the side panel is open. Luckily, they are mounted from the top (basically coming in from the side at the component side of the circuit board) so they are still reachable without completely having to remove the circuit board.

The black ones are at the back side of the circuit board, so they are easy to reach.

I disconnected the two white flat cables and the front most black one, leaving the black one on the top right corner of the circuit board.

So except for the different flat cable config, it was the same procedure:

Turn off

Unplug

Disconnect the proper cables (see above)

Plug in

Turn on

(perhaps wait until the printer settles down from any activity)

Turn off

Unplug

Reconnect flat cables

Plug in

Turn on

And delight in seeing the printer start its head cleaning cycle! Did a self test page from the printers console when it was done. All fine.

Getting the side panel removed was fiddly. I dismounted these 4 screws: 1 at the back, two below the cartridge cover at the top right side (marked 1 and 2), 1 more at the top front below that cover and 1 at the lower front next to the paper cartridge. Perhaps the back screw and the top front under the cartridge cover could have sufficed. The side panel has a plastic latch and when you get that loose it can fold down.

I think I removed too much: also the card reader unit and the lower front plastic piece that is attached to the card reader.

Getting it those two parts back in place was also fiddly.

HP Recommended

That's hilarious. Explain to us exactly how to open the model D7160 printer from the right side when it only opens directly from the front. There is no compartment door or panel thatopnes to either the right side or the left side. There is nothing consumer-accesible from the front, either, anyway. Simply the ink bay and the ink delivery system. Do you infer that we should rip the right side of the chassis fully off of the printer?

HP Recommended

Thanks a million, did exactly as instructed, and worked excellent for a HP Photosmart D7260, I was getting the Error code 0xc18a0802,  printer started working great again, and is up to the job......

HP Recommended

it has some plastics tabs, you should pry hard trying not to break them, and yes you have to open the right side of the printer, it was not intended for  end user to open it, but if yo manage to open it, problem solved once you do the posted procedures.

regards,

HP Recommended

Re: Ink system failed Error:Oxc18a0101 on photosmart D7260

I have tried all the answers on the screen here on HP about this problem, and nothing has helped correct the problem...does anyone know anything else I can do ???

HP Recommended

Hello @Jackie54

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.