Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Surface Pro 4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had read and tried all of the other posted recommendations.  My LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdw kept getting the "79 Service error Turn off and on" specifically when it was attempting to get on the wireless network.  This ONLY started happening after I installed the new firmware update of 20201021. 

I have the laser printer connected directly via USB cord and it is working.  But that renders the HP Web Service online wireless printing useless and my router is too far away to connect it directly into my network.

For those who want to hear it:

I have factory restarted

I have restored defaults

Directly plug the electrical into the wall

manually pushed the firmware update via USB

Any other suggestions? Has anyone else had this issue after the firmware update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

follow the instructions in https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/jpgpp3/hp_laserjet_pro_m280_m281_printer_series_20200612/

to download old firmware and upload it to your printer.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

follow the instructions in https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/jpgpp3/hp_laserjet_pro_m280_m281_printer_series_20200612/

to download old firmware and upload it to your printer.

HP Recommended

I have a MacBook Pro, so need download for OS, not Windows.  Can anyone help 

HP Recommended

I had same issue after firmware update.  Do not remember where I read this in the Forums but the fix for me was to disable IPV6, and that was the trick for me.  Immediately after I disabled IPV6 my MFP M281CDW start working normally with no issues. 
As a FYI, I have been using genuine HP Toner Cartridges. 

Very frustrating and many days without a Printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.