Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M130fn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just updated my MFP 130fn to the latest firmware 20211215. After the update process successfully completed, the printer simply display "Ready 2 Download" on the screen and nothing else happens. The computer doesn't recognise the printer anymore.

System runs Windows 10 Pro 21H2 19044.1415 64-bit and the printer is connect via the LAN on a wired connection.

After researching online, I followed the steps below without success.:

• Uninstalled all printer drivers
  • Disconnected printer from LAN
  • Connect printer to PC via USB
  • Manually reinstalled drivers under Virtual USB port
  • Re-ran firmware update on the printer installed under the USB port

During the process, you can see in the printer spooler windows that the firmware file being uploaded to the printer. The printer display changes from " Ready 2 Download" to "Downloading" and the progress makes it way across  the screen. The firmware update program on the PC will eventually complete with a happy face showing the process is completed. However the printer still hangs indefinitely on "Downloading". If I restart the printer, it remains stuck at "Ready 2 Download".

It try running this process several times using different USB cables on USB ports but the result is still the same.

If there another way to push the firmware through to the printer or to do a hard reset?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I have experienced the same issue with the same results after attempting the 20 December 2021 firmware update.  After trying the actions detailed in the Nides post with my Windows 10, 64 bit machine, I attempted the same process using a Windows 7, 64 bit machine but got the same result. 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Executed Hclxyz's posted process with no success.  After executing the specified command for the file he identified, the command line response indicated the file was copied to printer, the printer display indicated it had started downloading the file, and the progress bar began its movement to show progress. Once the progress bar reached its end point (having apparently completed the download), nothing else happened. it remained in that status ( i.e., display says downloading and the progress bar is completely finished) for well over an hour with no other indicated status on the printer display. I restarted the printer by cycling the power off and back on and the printer display still indicates "Ready 2 Download". 

Does anyone have a suggestion?

HP Recommended

I Just recovery my printer last night using my own extract f/w as bellow.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6o2xzxmgtj0d09q/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M130_M132_Ultra_MFP_M134_Printer_20201... 

This f/w is different with original post which support more languages like Koren, Chinese .... etc.

And I contact technical staff yesterday. They said they have got this issue, and finding solution now.

If you can not using self recovery method. Just wait for HP push new update to fix.

BTW HP already remove corrupted F/W from website.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback Hclxyz. Hopefully it can help others that may are not as security concerned as I am.

As a principal I don't install software, drivers or firmware that's from the manufacturer.

As for HP, I understand the need to remove the corrupted version of the firmware from their site while the fix it. It would have been nice, and good customer service, put back the previous working version of the firmware on the site. At least it would have allowed us to fix our printer while we wait for a newer version.

HP Recommended

I have old firmware backup, but unfortunately you can not use old firmware to repair your printer. You have to use special way like previous post to fix it.

Snap550.png

I think HP still looking solution to fix the problem by user.

Or HP may accept user send their printer to local repair center to fix for free.

HP Recommended

Have tried all the files and approaches suggested in this thread with no success.  Guess I'll have to wait for HP to push out something.  

HP Recommended

HP released a new firmware on January 31, 2022; version 20220119. The firmware notes specifically mentions that it fixes this issue: "Fix for printer hanging at "Ready to download" when upgrading firmware".

This got me excited that I would finally fix my printer after a month but the excitement was short lived as the new firmware did not fix the issue for me.

Anybody had any success fixing their printer with this latest firmware version?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.