Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3831
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 3831 has stopped printing in colour but cartridge is full??? Any idea why - I have re-installed drivers but no joy - no error message. Wifi connected to my PC.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JH3118

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a software or windows update? Do you remember?
  • Did you change any printer settings on the computer?

For a start, please make one more test copy in color from the printer from the flatbed without any intervention from the computer.

If it copies fine, it is just a setting that needs to be checked.

1. In your software application, click Print.
  2. Select your printer from the list of available printers.
  3. Click the option that opens the Printer Properties dialog box.

Depending on your software application, this button might be called PropertiesOptionsPrinter SetupPrinter PropertiesPrinter, or Preferences.

1. On the properties window, click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.
  2. Also, check if printing only in black is selected. If it is, please uncheck it. Also please check any box that says print in color.
  • On your computer, search Windows for Devices and Printers.
  • Right-click your printer, and then select Printing Preferences from the drop-down list.
  • Select your printer again, and then click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.
  • To print in color, change one of the following settings depending on what displays.
  • Click Advanced, click Print in Grayscale, and then deselect Black Ink Only or uncheck it.
  • Click the Black & White button and uncheck any option where only printing in black is selected if the option is found.Otherwise, ignore this step.

If this does not fix the issue, please check this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-3830-all-in-one-printer-series/7172321/model/71723... and look up the option "Color and black & white settings" This should help you to change the settings back to color and fix the issue.

And, also refer to the article: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04648194 Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the response Iand I will be sue to follow these instructions however I do remember that the issued occured after a Window update.

Should I do something different to what you have already suggested?

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Hi

I followed your instructions but no joy - still not printing in colour???

What should I try next please?

Thanks

J

HP Recommended

@JH3118

Thank you for posting back. 

Not to worry, I've got a few more steps to isolate the issue. 

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related softwares.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer full feature driver

Click here to download the driver.

Update the printer firmware

Follow the steps mentioned in this HP document to update firmware:- Click here

Once you install the printer, change the bellow settings to print in color.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing Preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color, then the OK button.

Let me know how it goes.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake - many thanks for this solution  - but again unfortunately it hasn't worked.

Anything else I can try please?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@JH3118,

Try the below suggestions-

Follow the below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference. If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing in color.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know-how. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.