Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet pro 6978

My printer will not accept generic cartridges and keeps giving me errors, even though the cartridges are the correct type and are installed correctly. It switches between different errors, saying all four of them need to be replaced, then two of them, then a different two, etc. I've tried cleaning and aligning the printhead, resetting the printer, and removing and replacing the cartridges multiple times. They click in just fine.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Yogi1999 

OK... "generic ink" is not supported.

That part is important.

The next part - and I hope I explain this properly...

This printer, depending on when it was manufactured, might be impacted by the rules about dynamic printer security.

What?

If your printer was manufactured Before December 31, 2016 (quite possible), there is nothing preventing the printer from using non-HP ink.  Non-HP ink might  not work, but there is nothing "stopping" it from doing so.

If your printer was manufactured After December 31, 2016, for example, during the first part of 2017, then the Firmware is preventing the printer from using Non-HP Ink.  There is no workaround, there is no "backing out", there is no "Yeah, but".

Information

Which Ink Can be Used in the Printer?

HP Ink - Learn About Supplies

Calls / Provides link to:

HP Printers - Dynamic Security Enabled Printers

Non-HP ink cartridge use (Firmware Update)

Updates have been released to correct issues in affected printers (as listed😞

HP Inkjet Printers - Dynamic Security Feature Affecting Cartridges Using Non-HP Security Chip

What to do?

If you are convinced the ink should work in your printer, you can try returning it for a different cartridge.  In other words:  It might just be "that ink cartridge" that is  no working.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.