Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 6960
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a strange problem on a fresh win 7 x64 install.

I can print from some softwares (IE, irfanview, foxit reader, ...) but not from some others (libre office, thunderbird, ps pad, ms office).

And from firefox (74.0), i got an error message when trying to print a web page : "An unknown error has occured during printing" (english translation from french).

In case where it is not printing, a task appears and quickly disappears in printer spooler.

Last information : I installed latest drivers from HP (40.11.1150).

Any idea where troubleshouting to find the problem ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@fichatel

Follow the steps below-

1.Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box. 

2. Choose “Printers & scanners“. 

3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“. 

4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it. 

5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“. 

6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list. 

7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel.  

8.  Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.

Also, you can select the class driver HP 8600 series for the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@fichatel, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you're experiencing printing issues from the computer, let us try to isolate and resolve the issue-

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues. 

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Try updating the computer 

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue persists, I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer and try printing.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Tanks for your answer.

Here is the status.

HP Print and Scan Doctor

I've already ran it, and everything were fine (all green). I re-did it just to follow your complete procedure.

I printed a test page without problem.

Update the printer firmware

I had the OJ6960_Basicx64_40.11.1150 driver installed.

Try updating the computer 

No update detected.

Persisting issue

- I unistalled HP Software

- I removed HP printer

- I remove HP Printer driver in the Print Server Properties windows

- In downloaded an ran HPEasyStart_11_0_4498_30 and choose full package (OJ6960_Full_WebPack_40.11.1150)

At the end, the problem is still there. I can print from some softwares (for instance IE 11.0.1170) but not from some others (for instance firefox 74.0.1).

HP Recommended

@fichatel

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    uninstall the existing printer drivers. Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I unistalled printer drivers.

I click in Control Panel - Devices and Printers and added my printer. The installation as been made automatically without need to select Windows Update.

The printer installed is HPC10690 (HP OfficeJet Pro 6960).

The problem is still there ! ☹️

Additionnal info : I noticed one thing. As I said, currently printing doesn't work from Firefox. But if I display a PDF in Firefox and print it, it works ! Strange ...

HP Recommended

@fichatel

Thanks for replying!

Try to uninstall and reinstall the Firefox browser, also try printing from other browsers and see if that helps!

Try updating the computer - 

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As stated in my initial post, printing is working well from IE (like from some others softwares installed on my laptop).

I reinstall FF without any change on printing.

My win 7 is up to date.

There's only one optionnal update left which doesn't install :

Hewlett-Packard - USB - 5/3/2017 12:00:00 AM - 40.11.1130.17123

Error detail : Code 800F020B

Hewlett-Packard USB driver update released in May 2017

More informations :
http://sysdev.microsoft.com/support/default.aspx

Help and support :
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

HP Recommended

@fichatel

Follow the steps below-

1.Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box. 

2. Choose “Printers & scanners“. 

3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“. 

4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it. 

5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“. 

6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list. 

7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel.  

8.  Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.

Also, you can select the class driver HP 8600 series for the printer.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I uninstalled all HP drivers and re-installed my printer with HP Officejet Pro K8600 Series driver and it works well now.

Really thank you, I wouldn't have found this fix on my own ! 👍

HP Recommended

@fichatel

Happy to hear that.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.