Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5220
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello!

I bought a HP Officejet 5220 last weekend.

Problem is that I am unable to scan documents consisting of multiple pages in one PDF.

Every time the scanner asks me if I want to scan "another Item", I touch "add item".

And every time after a few seconds the screen shown in step 4 appears and interupts the scan process. This happens much faster than I can swap the papers to scan. I tried it multiple times already.

Step 3 - Swapping paperStep 3 - Swapping paperStep 4 - Happening before I can even swap the papersStep 4 - Happening before I can even swap the papersStep 2 - Touch "Add Item"Step 2 - Touch "Add Item"Step 1 - Save as PDFStep 1 - Save as PDF

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Merkele

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Are you trying to scan from the scanner glass or from the ADF

Follow the below steps to scan multiple pages or photos into one PDF:

Save multiple pages or photos into one PDF file using HP Scan. You must have Adobe Reader software installed on the computer. Go to Get Adobe Reader to install the software.

NOTE:

HP Scan does not support adding multiple JPEG, PNG, or TIFF photos into a single file. You must save photos in PDF format to save them all in one file.

1. Check the following requirements for multi-page scanning into one PDF file:

• To save multiple photos into one file, you must use the PDF document-related shortcuts.

• Use a resolution setting of 300 DPI or lower.

2. Search Windows for HP, and then select your printer.

HP Printer Assistant opens.

3. Click Scan, and then click Scan a Document or Photo.

HP Scan opens.

4. In HP Scan, select the Save as PDF or Document to File shortcut.

• If you scanned multiple pages from the ADF, click Save. All pages save into a single file.

• If you scanned from the scanner glass, load the next page or photo on the glass. Click the plus button  or  in the HP Scan preview window to scan the next item. Repeat this step until all pages or photos are scanned, and then click Save.

5. Select PDF in the Save as type menu.

6. Change the file name

7. and the folder you want to save the scan to and then click Save.

Use this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-5200-all-in-one-printer-series/14095737/model/1409... for your reference.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for helping out!

I'm trying to scan two sided documents, which is why I'm using the scanner glass.

The software seems like a nice option but I'd really like to to multiple side scans from the printer/scanner instead of switching between PC and scanner/printer for every single side. Since the interface is asking me if I want to continue with a next page that certainly should be possible?

I actually bought this scanner/printer to replace a 7 year old Canon device that could manage this task with ease.

HP Recommended

@Merkele

I see that you were interacting with @Raj1788. I'd like to help.

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I understood the issue better now.

Update the printer firmware, which should fix this issue.

Refer this HP document to update the printer firmware:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

If this helps, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos for my efforts to help.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you!

The installer shows the current printer's firmware as "up to date" and therefore doesn't let me install the firmware update.

Seems like the problem is not solved with the September issue of the firmware.

HP Recommended

@Merkele

Thanks for the reply,

Click on the link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

To Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Then, try installing driver and Check if it's working.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

The driver is installed and I was using an administrator account.

Not sure how your reply it related to my problem at hand though?

We are talking about an issue with the firmware here - not the drivers on the PC.

HP Recommended

@Merkele

Thanks for the reply,

I see that the firmware of the printer is up to date, as you mentioned in the previous post.

Are the multiple scans working?

If the multiple scans are still not working?

Use ADF to scan multiple pages.

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-5200-all-in-one-printer-seri... to install the driver and check if it's working.

The alternate way to scan multiple pages is to use the printer software on the computer to scan as PDF.

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.