Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 952 Combo Pack w/black XL, cyan, magenta, yellow
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got a message to replace cyan and yellow cartridges. Replaced with Office Depot brand color carts (all 3), then printer came back with "cartridge depleted" massage. Talked to Office Depot support that recommended returning them. I then bought the HP combo pack with black XL, then installed. The printer came back with the same "cartridge depleted" message. Started up Print & Scan Doctor, chose "fix printing" came back with Device Error, no description. I cleared all error messages on desktop and printer, unplugged printer for a couple of minutes, restarted, and it still came back with "cartridge depleted", even with the three new HP color cartridges installed. What can be done?

I bought the printer new on 10/9/2018.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I solved this puzzle myself due to a sign given to me at the HP Smart opening page. What I see each time I start HPS up, is a picture of the printer with estimated supply levels representing the three color carts with the black. What that showed me when I got the original "out of ink" message was the cyan and yellow indicators dimmed, meaning that those two were out of ink. So when I installed the color kit, I included the magenta cart as well. It made sense to me to hold back the black one because one would suspect that the black cart that holds more would not empty as quickly, since its indicator was still showing solid.

Wrong! I'm guessing that, maybe due to computer chips in the carts that may have identified this as a "combo" replacement kit, this wouldn't cause the printer to act any other way than to want every cart replaced or no satisfaction (insatiable appetite syndrome.) After the color carts were replaced, the indicator showed the black cart dimmed. Ahah! I handed the black XL over (slurp, slurp!) So now printer works, but I'm not completely satisfied! What happens down the road if I need to change carts again, and I don't buy a combo kit, say color only? The factory or original ink carts showed even or equal ink levels throughout its year of usage. I'm expecting the black XL cart to outlast the color ones this time. Will there be another problem if I don't switch out all four carts at the same time? I will bet that the Office Depot replacement ink carts would have worked if I had switched them all, something that the support jockey hadn't thought of during my call.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I solved this puzzle myself due to a sign given to me at the HP Smart opening page. What I see each time I start HPS up, is a picture of the printer with estimated supply levels representing the three color carts with the black. What that showed me when I got the original "out of ink" message was the cyan and yellow indicators dimmed, meaning that those two were out of ink. So when I installed the color kit, I included the magenta cart as well. It made sense to me to hold back the black one because one would suspect that the black cart that holds more would not empty as quickly, since its indicator was still showing solid.

Wrong! I'm guessing that, maybe due to computer chips in the carts that may have identified this as a "combo" replacement kit, this wouldn't cause the printer to act any other way than to want every cart replaced or no satisfaction (insatiable appetite syndrome.) After the color carts were replaced, the indicator showed the black cart dimmed. Ahah! I handed the black XL over (slurp, slurp!) So now printer works, but I'm not completely satisfied! What happens down the road if I need to change carts again, and I don't buy a combo kit, say color only? The factory or original ink carts showed even or equal ink levels throughout its year of usage. I'm expecting the black XL cart to outlast the color ones this time. Will there be another problem if I don't switch out all four carts at the same time? I will bet that the Office Depot replacement ink carts would have worked if I had switched them all, something that the support jockey hadn't thought of during my call.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.