Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
MacBook
macOS 10.14 Mojave

My HP PhotoSmart 7520 All-In-One Printer is about 5 years old. I've spent all day checking the printer and cartridges and cleaning the printhead mechanism, both automatically and manually (twice), including submersing in warm water. The color cartridges and jets seem to work fine as the Print Quality Report shows no issues there. Only the black ink won't work.  So, will purchasing a new printhead solve my issue? Doing so would be less expensive than buying a new printer and would allow me to continue using a small inventory of model 564 ink cartridges. Buying a new printer will be more expensive but would seem to be the better long-term answer. My primary goal is to assuredly solve this problem with the least amount of additional time spent. Does anyone have experience with this type of problem and what do you recommend? Thank you, Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BCG11

I believe its a printhead failure, replacing the printhead should resolve the issue. Please call HP Support to obtain a replacement printhead, you may use the following steps to contact your regional HP Support:

1) Click on this link -  

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@BCG11

A warm welcome to HP Support Community!

Manually cleaning the printhead may resolve the issue, instructions on how to manually clean a removable printhead can be found here.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day! 

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I've already cleaned the printhead manually twice. Still no black ink (but the colors and photo cartridge work fine). Will purchasing a new printhead solve my problem? Or, do I need to buy a new printer?

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I've already cleaned the printhead manually twice. Still no black ink (but the colors and photo cartridge work fine). Will purchasing a new printhead solve my problem? Or, do I need to buy a new printer?

HP Recommended

@BCG11

I believe its a printhead failure, replacing the printhead should resolve the issue. Please call HP Support to obtain a replacement printhead, you may use the following steps to contact your regional HP Support:

1) Click on this link -  

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for this reply. I've ordered a new printhead. Fingers crossed.

- Brian

HP Recommended

Hi Brian,

Can I ask if the new printhead solved it?

I'm suddenly having same problem with same printer.  I've been using automatic cleaning and even bought new cartridge. So, I'm at the printhead options stage.

Also, for anyone here on Forum, in the HP instructions, "HP Photosmart 7520 Printers - Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues"

I've copied a portion below. Note that Part Number below is NOT the same number "Senan6806" given in the Solution in this current post thread.   Does someone know if it matters which number to use?  Very confusing.

Thank you so much!

Massachusetts

---------------From Photosmart instructions ------------------------------

If your printhead assembly is no longer under warranty, you can purchase a new one online.
  1. Go to the HP Parts Store website (in English).
  2. Under Find your part(s), type CN642A in the Search by part number text box.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to order the printhead assembly.
HP Recommended

My black ink print problem eventually cleared / resolved after I followed the intructions for manually cleaning the printhead (using the HP recommendation where you actually remove the printhead and soak it in warm water for a while . . . really messy, but apparently helpful) AND then waited a few days (presumably for the printhead to fully dry?!). I did end up buying a new printhead part (on the HP support site), but I have not yet installed it because my printer is working at this time. I think I will keep the new printhead because I anticipate that my old printhead will eventually totally fail (and then I'll be prepared to replace). Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Brian!  It so great of you to reply so quick.  Thank you.

I did think you tried cleaning printhead with water from your very first post.  ?

So, taking the plunge  (no pun) to try cleaning them in warm water may be worth it...  it does sound so messy.

I will try it.  But need to wait until weekend.  And what a drag not to be able to print.  Although, some other thread said they change the settings to print in color only, I think.  Worth a try for now.

I'll add that all the Test Print Pages show colors and photo well. No black.

However, all the INK LEVELS show all AND the Black being full (because I just changed it).  Still won't print.

And it is great that you posted this because it will be helpful for others to see what happened.

I will also followup here.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.