Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

You have two options, either:

HP Recommended

Before thinking about the "Throw it away and buy a new one" thought, why not try these steps I found on How to reset HP C5180 site. After a month of suffering with my own hp c5180, I got it working following the steps found on that site. Of course with patience and hard work I got it working and saved my own money as I did the troubleshooting myself. Now, my hp c5180 is working fine with my win 7 laptop. I hope it will work for you too.. 🙂

HP Recommended

After trying the reset and it failed to work, I figured I had nothing to loose and try replacing the capacitors as previously described.

I found two blown capacititors, I got two new ones and the printer working like new again.

It is not a hard job if you have a some small knolledge on how to solder. Cost $1.00 to fix, no new printer for me yet!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot everyone. I replaced capacitors C163 and C228 today and printer's working like new again. Hugely disappointed with HP support. If I'd listened to them it would have been in the garbage already and I'd be a lot lighter in the pocket replacing it.

HP Recommended

I reported on the capacitor fix about this time last year, not my idea but it worked. The bad news is for only one month during which time it was used about four times.

I reluctantly put the whole lot in the bin to save myself any more grief, like most I had  a whole set of spare inks which I managed to sell and put towards another printer not HP.

I suspect the printed circuit is made to a price which means using cheaper and cheaper materials, which then fail far earlier than the expensive ones. Not only have we the customer lost out so have HP as you will see on the posts they have taken their custom and money elsewhere, they got smart but not photosmart!

From a once loyal customer.

HP Recommended

Can you tell me how to disassemble the printer so I can have the **bleep** caps replace. Do you open the bottom to disassemble? Help me!!! I need SCANNER!!!!!!

SHAME ON YOU HP for not helping. You have this Forum and ingore our pleaing for help! Iam unemploy and need to printer/scanner for job apps! rebooting rebooting rebooting stupid stupid stupid stupid rebooting rebooting rebooting

HP Recommended
how do i replace them? where can i find replacements??
HP Recommended

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioe1-QyaVac

watch this to show how to disassemble hp printer/scanner.

i purchased the capitators 330uf 16V  from ebay.  i am going to replace all four instead of just two.

HP Recommended

I also have an HPC5180 printer with the same problem.  Mine is several years old.  Thanks for the capacitor tip.  I replaced mine with a 470 uF cap because I figured it really doesn't matter, i.e., it's either coupling an AC signal or decoupling DC, and more likely the latter. If that's the case, I went larger in size. It works, so I am deeply greatful for your tip.  Having read the string of powering on and off with depressing the OK and Setup switching turns it off but doesn't solve the problem, at least not mine. 

Having an electrical engineering backgroud made me skeptical of the fix, and HP should have temperature cycled the all commercial grade product before releasing their designs.  Shame on HP for releasing a product with such a design on the fringe of not working. 

For those of you that want to venture into this fix, it's worth the time.  Let me forewarn you that the PC board is on the right side of the printer. Rather than running the risk of breaking off the right side molding, I took a flat head screwdrivever and torqued out the plastic hinges to get the side panel off.  You will need a soldering iron to get the cap out.  Make sure your soldering iron tip is clean and hot, otherwise it's tough getting the cap out and even tougher getting the new one back in.  I spent about an hour doing this entire routine, but it was worth it since I also recently bought new cartriges and was about to trash the printer...

Thanks again for the great tip.  You saved me hundreds 🙂

HP Recommended
Shame on HP for using unreliable Teapo capacitors for many years and double shame for not telling anyone. This was first posted in 2010. I've been struggling with different "printing system errors" and spontaneous reboots for quite some time until I came upon this thread. HP FAQ and troubleshooting guide says absolutely nothing about it. I had not one but two Teapo capacitors with a dome like head. $2 for a new pair and some soldering and no more errors of any kind.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.