Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My printer will print pictures out with random black backgrounds. I cannot solve how to cancel that and print the picture as seen on the screen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@currya15,

Try the below suggestion-

In the Print dialog, disable "Print in grayscale" if selected, click on the "Advanced" button and make sure that the "Negative" option is not selected. If you can't deselect "Negative", change Color option from Composite to Composite Gray, for example, deselect Negative and change Color back to Composite. Click OK to confirm and you can select "Print in grayscale" again if necessary.

enter image description here

Keep me posted!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@gjwbiker, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to assist you better, I'd like to know the following-

What happens when you make photocopies on the printer?

Are you able to print text documents fine?

Which application are you trying to print from?

Meanwhile, ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am sorry I am seeing this so late. 

It seems to be an adobe issue. I print documents for my students from TeacherpayTeachers website. And most things are saved in a PDF file. The images used in these documents must have had the backgrounds removed because when I see the page, it looks fine, when it prints however, the image is printed out with a black background. My computer is automatically updated daily.

HP Recommended

@currya15,

Try the below suggestion-

In the Print dialog, disable "Print in grayscale" if selected, click on the "Advanced" button and make sure that the "Negative" option is not selected. If you can't deselect "Negative", change Color option from Composite to Composite Gray, for example, deselect Negative and change Color back to Composite. Click OK to confirm and you can select "Print in grayscale" again if necessary.

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Thank you! It was smidge different on mine for some reason, but in the advanced settings, I changed it to as image is shown and it fixed it! Thank you!!

HP Recommended

You're welcome 🙂

I am glad it helped!

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.