Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283cdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP update broke my printer.  I am extremely frustrated as this printer is only 1.5 years old and replaced another HP Laser Jet that had a similar issue after 2 years.

Here is my setup and what I have tried to fix it.  HP really needs to get their act together regarding updates.

Setup:

• HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M283cdw
  • Wired network connection with static IP
  • Printer plugged into uninterruptable power supply (UPS to avoid update problems/power cycling)
  • Genuine HP cartridges
  • Updates set to "Prompt Before Install"

Issue:

• Firmware date code 20220729 was installed on Sept 23, 2022
  • Printer went into endless reboot loop 
  • "79 Service Error - Turn off then on" displayed on screen before reboot

Fixes I've tried:

• Turn off then turn on - same error
  • Unplug leave unplugged 30 min, replug - same error
  • Re-send firmware using HP Firmware tool - tool gives 'smiley face' successful message - same error
  • Unplug wired network cable - printer started, I was able to make a photocopy
    • Plugged in network cable, went back to same error

Next will be trying factory reset, but this is getting stupid wasting hours because HP sent a bad update.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @BRPeck,

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting service error 79. I'd like to help!

The only option left is to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

Follow the steps below. 

One of the following errors is displayed on the printer's control panel:

79 Error Turn off then on

The printer has experienced an internal firmware error.

79 Service error Turn off then on

An incompatible DIMM might be installed.

Solution: 79 Error Turn off then on

• Turn the printer power off, wait at least 30 seconds, and then turn the power on and wait for it to initialize.
  • If you are using a surge protector, remove it and plug the printer directly into the wall socket. Turn the printer power on.
  • If the message persists, disconnect any network or USB cables and power cycle. If the printer returns to Ready, check the firmware version and update if a newer version is available.
  • For instructions on updating the firmware, go to HP LaserJet Pro - Update the printer firmware.
  • NOTE:
  • The firmware version can be found by printing a Configuration Report from the control panel of your printer. Visit the HP Customer Support Drivers page to find the latest firmware version available.
  • If the error is intermittent, attempt to isolate the issue to something specific in your environment.
  • Delete all print jobs from all computers connected to the printer and send a simple test print job.
  • If the message persists, please contact HP Customer Support.

Solution: 79 Service error Turn off then on

• Turn the printer power off, wait at least 30 seconds, and then turn the power on and wait for it to initialize.
  • If you are using a surge protector, remove it and plug the printer directly into the wall socket. Turn the printer power on.
  • If the message persists, disconnect any network or USB cables and power cycle. If the printer returns to Ready, check the firmware version and update if a newer version is available.
  • For instructions on updating the firmware, go to HP LaserJet Pro - Update the printer firmware.
  • NOTE:
  • The firmware version can be found by printing a Configuration Report from the control panel of your printer. Visit the HP Customer Support Drivers page to find the latest firmware version available.
  • If the error is intermittent, attempt to isolate the issue to something specific in your environment.
  • Delete all print jobs from all computers connected to the printer and send a simple test print job.
  • If the issue persists, remove any installed DIMMS and retest.
  • If the printer prints fine, install a DIMM that the product supports.
  • If the message persists, please contact HP Customer Support.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

same problem!!! i had to DOWNGRADE the firmware to make it stop.

I found these links to help me:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/HP-Color-Laser-jet-Pro-MFP-...

https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/jpgpp3/hp_laserjet_pro_m280_m281_printer_series_20200612/...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/Downgrade-MFP-M281fdw-Firmware/td-p/784...

to sum up what I did:

on PRINTERs web interface (use a browser) enable FTP: Networking > Advanced > "FTP Printing" (it was unchecked, but i checked it anyway) so i dunno if thats where it was or if mine was enabled by default > then "apply"

then download the PREVIOUS firmware:

ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/pfirmware/HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M282_M285_Multifunction_Printer_series_20220411.ENG.rfu

then ftp into it using ftp client - i used filezilla ftp client. 

just put the "ftp.hp.com" into the domain and hit "quickconnect". then navigate to the folder structure above to download the file to your DESKTOP/local pc.

after successful download of that file - FTP into the printer (make sure its on and connected to the network and that you know the IP address of it and put that IP into the FileZilla ftp client.

I was able to login into the printer this way but there are NO folder structures on the printer after you log in. I just uploaded the big .rfu file and immediately after that it downgraded as i watched the mini screen on the printer and it rebooted! so far so good! i checked the date code on the firmware and wala it is 20220411 !!!! woot woot.

If any more issues, then i'll just "reset" the printer to see if that clears out anything other problems...

hope this helps! good luck!

p.s. to quote another post:

** DON"T FORGET THIS! - On your printer menu, disable check for new firmware, and make sure auto-install is not selected ** and AFTER your done, make sure you DISABLE auto update! lol

HP Recommended

Doing a hard reset worked buy holding the screen with a finer during boot up.

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting this and steering me in the right direction. I had the same problem with my less-than-two-year-old M255dw after an automatic firmware update. Fixed it (I hope) by downgrading. As a user of HP scientific equipment since the 1960's, what has happened to the company gives me the same feeling as the death of an old friend. My previous HP printer was a LaserJet 2200 that lasted 15 years and over 43K pages. This one is my last.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.