Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
3830 inkjet
  • Remove and reinstall indicated cartridge
  • I have tried all the suggestions and am dead in the water.
  • I am very frustrated with this piece of junk.

If this doesn't work I am going on Facebook and vent how I feel about HP.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Redwing1953, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from the document  HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, since the last firmware update in June.  Sometimes I get the incompatable cartridge error message.  I have tried 3 new cartridges with no help, and all the other tricks I have learned over the last 10 years battling these printers.  Uninstalled and reinstalled software has worked in the past, not this time.  Fully fed up with HP problems.  I am done with HP.

HP Recommended

@Helmie2

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your printer?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • Are you able to make a copy?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Officejet 3830 All-in-One

Windows 10 Home, 64  AND  IOS 14

Remove and Reinstall error

Wrong ink cartridge error

Cannot print at all

All of August battling this issue:  Tried 3 new HP ink cartridges #63, all give same message.

Have turned printer off for days, both on on-off button and/or unplugging power cord.

Print and Scan doc does not help, just says there is a ink cartridge problem.

I have turned off automatic updates as this happened when the firmware was updated.

HP Recommended

@Helmie2

Are you able to make a copy?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 
  2. Remove USB cable, if present. 
  3. Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge. 
  4. Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer. 
  5. Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-3830-all-in-one-printer-series/7172321/document/c0...

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I completed these steps 3 times.  On the third time the printer printed one page, the alignment page.  Now again I get the "Incompatable Cartridge" error.  The #63 ink cartridge I am using was purchased at my local Walmart.  This printer is junk?

HP Recommended

@Helmie2

Are you able to make a copy?

Did you purchase the printer in the US and using it in the same country?

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I cannot make a copy. 
Purchased this useless printer in Amazon and using in the USA.  RATHER, unable to use this. 

i will not be participating on this site as I am not replacing this inoperable printer with HP. 

just wanting others to know they are not alone in this frustrating game HP plays with “updates” striving to make people buys numerous ink cartridges. 

HP Recommended

@Helmie2

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.