Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
MFP M281fdw

I downloaded the newest update and installed it and now I keep getting 79 service Error. I have turned it off and unplugged it but still get the error. How do I remove to update?

I don't know how to remove the solved part of this post.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After doing a little more research I found out how to factory reset the printer and so far it is working great. Below is the link to the YouTube video on how to factory reset it. FYI...it is not the same model but the process is the same. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0Ar1TyBHY

View solution in original post

Factory Reset HP LaserJet M277dw Printer Steps: 1 - Power Down 2 - Power Up 3 - Wait until you see the energy logo 4 - Press and hold the lower right hand portion of the display 5 - You can release when you see "permanent storage init"
54 REPLIES 54
HP Recommended

After doing a little more research I found out how to factory reset the printer and so far it is working great. Below is the link to the YouTube video on how to factory reset it. FYI...it is not the same model but the process is the same. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0Ar1TyBHY

Factory Reset HP LaserJet M277dw Printer Steps: 1 - Power Down 2 - Power Up 3 - Wait until you see the energy logo 4 - Press and hold the lower right hand portion of the display 5 - You can release when you see "permanent storage init"
HP Recommended

I thought the factory reset fixed the issue but right after I posted that is went back to 79 service error. 😞 

It appears where the issue happens is when it starts to pull a sheet of paper through to print it goes into this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

HP Recommended

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM:

I downloaded the newest update and installed it and now I keep getting 79 service Error. I have turned it off and unplugged it but still get the error. ALL MY PROBLEM BEGAN AFTER ACCEPTING AN UPDATE REQUESTED FOR THE SAME PRINTER (color laser Jet pro MFP M281fdw). 

The video you posted to solve this situation  does NOT solve the real situation here. I made this and it  helps you to continue working but only connected to one device by a direct cable. BECAUSE you continue without wireless connection is not possible to real work in an office where the PCs areconnected to a wireless net. I already uploaded all I can: drives, firmware, etc  into the printer and NO right solution. As soon as the printer connect with internet it goes to 79 SERVICE ERROR, THEN CONTINUES IN AN INITIALIZION LOOP.   

I hope to receive some clue from HP to solve this infortunate situation. 

It is pity for me because I have always had HP as the best. Now, I am really dissappointed and thinking to change all my company printers and PCs to another brand.     

Stay safe everyone. 

HP Recommended

Same problem here its not working nobody from HP is responding too

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue with my MFP M281fdw.  Updated the firmware as it was requested and now stuck in never ending 79 error loop.  Maddening.

HP Recommended

I've isolated the problem to being related to internet connection.  I can get printer to work properly when connected via USB.  I even reinstalled the firmware update.  All was fine... until I connected to internet.  Both wireless and ethernet pose same issue.  As soon as either are connected to internet, the 79 error resumes.

HP Recommended

Ditto on the Service 79 Error message loop. Have a MFP M281fdw.  Issue occurred after accepting the firmware update.  If anyone finds a solution would appreciate the help.

HP Recommended

i downgraded to the 20200612 firmware and all is well just search for the firmware with that date 

HP Recommended

Downgrading is what I was wanting to do because that is when it was working but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Do you download it to a USB flashdrive and install it from there?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.