Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

So far that is working!!! Hot diggity dog.  I hope they figure this one out for whenever a patch is sent.

HP Recommended

Yes, the older firmware 20200612 made a difference. The step before that for me was the reset as detailed on the prior Youtube video. (15) HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw Printer Reset & 79 Service Error Reset - YouTube  Once that was done I was able to go in and make the changes as detailed on the Reddit post regarding the upload to the printer of the older firmware. HP LaserJet Pro M280 M281 Printer series 20200612 firmware downgrade : printers (reddit.com)  Everything is working again. ------------------ Yes, it is frustrating that we were given a firmware upgrade that was flowed, HP said nothing, and then has not been able to help me since I've had the issue. Thanks to everyone who posted here, my problem is solved. 

HP Recommended

I cant get my printer to stay on that long!

HP Recommended

Yes, that solution (upgrading the firmware) appears to also work for some users, but if you dont follow the instructions, it will just auto upgrade itself again. And I know that some folks are not comfortable click once it gets in to things like "firmware".

It does appear that just turning off IPV6 solves the 79 Service error -- with the new firmware installed.

HP Recommended

After more than ten hours of working on this problem, following all of the advice in the preceding messages (thank you all for that), I have given up. I turned off the wifi connection, changed all of the settings as described, downloaded the old version of the firmware, bought new HP toner cartridges to replace the perfectly good third party ones that were working well before the firmware change, connected the printer with a cable, but have not been able to get it to replace the new firmware with the previous version or to work at all. I will return the HP toner cartridges and junk the machine, which was working just fine before the firmware upgrade. 

My wife's old inkjet printer recently broke, so we bought two new Canon Laser printers on Black Friday sales. It will be a long time before I buy anything else from HP.

Someone earlier in this message chain asked whether what HP is doing is legal. In my case, long after the purchase they deliberately disabled my printer to prevent me from using third party toner cartridges that worked just fine, to compel me to buy HP printer cartridges. I am a lawyer and believe that this is not legal - it is a breach of our contract, probably an unfair and deceptive trade practice, and also likely an violation of anti-trust laws. It is not worth it for me to litigate over a two-year old printer that cost a few hundred dollars  but it abysmal corporate behavior, displays utter disregard for its customers and is probably not legal. I have favored HP since owning one of the original LaserJets that seemed not to blink or jam for most of a decade. No more.

HP Recommended

Ken,

Sorry the solutions didn't work -- turning off IPV6 seemed to do the trick form many folks -- an HP person actually gave me the solution, and it worked when I tried it (after the firmware update didn't), so I reposted it several places....

As an IT Consultant, I feel your same pain everyday... everything has become so incredibly complex. We apply the 2 hour rule to most problems... if we can fix/resolve it within 2 hours, we'll either replace it or re-format it. We can't bill $1000 of time fixing a $200 printer  (and it is not like we get any 'rebate' from HP, Microsoft, Dell, anyone...)

Hopefully the Canon's work better for you. Good luck.

HP Recommended

I just tried this and didn't help

HP Recommended

So far this appears to be working. Very frustrating 

HP Recommended

I'm still using the cartridges that came with it from the factory and nothing works.  **bleep**!?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.