Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello, sorry you are still having issues...

I presume you unplugged the printer from your router and/or you turned off your home wireless (the key is that you dont want it to try to connect to the intrenet) over IPV6). Do you have it connected via a cable or wireless?

I haven't tried it, but you might consider resetting the network settings on the unit and then turnin goff IPV6, and then re-connecting the network (whether it is via the cable to your router or wireless)... and then seeing it it will print (you might need to re-install the printer on your computer if you rtry this ... as it might get assigned a different IP address), but this might be worth a try also.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

This worked for me! Thank you Lahudood!  My printer has not worked since I accepted the update in the last week of September.  I have the same issues: Problem started immediately following update, 79 error, supply error and I use 3rd party toners.  I use a wireless network and did not have any usb to usb cables on hand.  I realized that in the brief seconds to minute before it looped from error code to power cycle again, it connected to the wireless network, so I ran the firmware update, even though it said to wait until the printer was in ready state.  Surprisingly, in those brief moments of wireless connection, the update was transferred and I am whole again!  I hope I can save the downloaded file to resolve future issues, if any.  Thank you very much! 

HP Recommended

***MY SOLUTION***

When I first ran into this issue a couple years ago. There was nothing online. After trying every trick in the book... I found that disabling "Microsoft WS-Discovery" Ports will Fix this Solution. No need for further downgrades or Upgrades.

This is found Under Network> Advance Settings> Microsoft Services > WSD Discovery. For kicks and giggles there is a second one I disable located in Firewall > Firewall Options> WS-Discovery.

I hope this brings many of users back on the Network. USB Printers can be a headache.

HP Recommended

I've had this printer over a year now ... out of warranty now, of course.  I know this model is still available as is the  new M283 .

I can't get the thing to completely initialize before it goes into it's 79 service error, turns itself off, then on ...repeat until I turn it off.  I now have NO printer !  I really need to get this one to work.  HELP?

HP Recommended

Yes, that is what happens. 

Did you turn off your internet? ...unplug your modem while you are doing this to be sure. 

Once you have no internet/wifi, restart your printer and disable IPv6 per the instructions. 

plug your modem back in... you might need to re-associate the printer with your wifi. 

That should solve it.  Good luck...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.