Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdw
Microsoft Windows 11

I have been getting Service Error 79 on my HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdw.

Tried all options listed here such as disabling of IPV6, Restart, upgrading of firmware etc, but the service error 79 keeps coming and the Printer keeps rebooting - almost in a loop. It comes back up, stays for some time and restarts

My printer is under warranty. Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nope, only original HP Cartrigdges used.

But now managed to solve this through factory reset using the menu and resetting all defaults.

Thanks anyways

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hello, 

This error most likely will show up when Non HP toner cartridges are used. 

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Nope, only original HP Cartrigdges used.

But now managed to solve this through factory reset using the menu and resetting all defaults.

Thanks anyways

HP Recommended

Peter,

I have the same error 79 issue; use only HP ink; have tried every suggested fix, have updated all of my computer programs;

when I hit reset on the copier, it just goes directly to the 79 service error. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

I'm suddenly having the same issue. The printer keeps rebooting for no reason. I've disabled IPV6, unplugged and waited, plugged the power cable directly to the wall (no power strip) -- nothing is helping. It seems VERY suspect to me that mine is not the only one suddenly experiencing this issue.

Also, i still have the original toner the printer came with. Each one has about 40% supply remaining. I will NOT be purchasing new toner unless this is fixed. 

HP Recommended

I think I had the same, but what I did, was leave the paper tray open, so it couldn't do a normal start-up.

Then went to the settings and did a factory reset.

Now all working fine again

HP Recommended

@VanEdge.

The same was with mine. Still original toners, also around 35% remaining, except for Cyan and Yellow, those are almost empty.

But after the factory reset, all ok again. Only annoying that all needed to be setup again..

HP Recommended

The reset seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed it stays this way. 

Thanks, all!

HP Recommended

only use genuine hp toner

HP Recommended

where is the factory reset located.. all i found was restore defaults..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.