Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Looks like a bug but hoping someone can help.

Just upgraded from an OfficeJet 8600 to the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide.   This printer is used in a networked community setting and not all users should have access to the printer's settings via the built-in web server.      With the 8600 this was simple,   you just needed to set an admin password.   With the 7740 however, if you set the password it also blocks the non-admin user scan from web feature which was a primary reason HP was and has been selected.

Anyway to work around this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ScottAlbrecht, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

This is as per design. If you lock the EWS page of the printer, you will need the credentials while using the web-scan feature from a computer or the printer.

You may access the EWS page and try to enable web-scan under advanced settings > save, lock the EWS page and check if that helps.

For more info, refer to - Using the HP Printer Embedded Web Server

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Let me translate....   This design makes the feature completely useless!!!!   And means that you wasted your time.  OK, I will spill it out:

A feature to password protect, administrative features is so that users don't mess up the settings NOT to stop them from using the printer!!!   Seriously!!!

The design is a MISTAKE.   And it is so upsetting to see such poor quality work coming from so many engineering teams these days.     The fact that someone actually thought this is OK, leaves me shaking my head.

Its basic common sense that a product designed to be used in a business in a networked environment needs to have a separation between administration privileges and user privileges.   Previous HP printers we owned had this ability and got it right.   This is simply a design bug unless you call stupid "by design".      

The more we use this printer the more its poor quality is coming out.  Bug and bug.  Unless you want to call dismiss / later buttons on warnings that just immediately pop-up the message again vs dismissing "by design" as well.  Or how about the scan drivers that were clearly a poor port from another printer...  returning streaked lines, doesn't support the full scan bed.

This product is unfortunately a good idea with terrible execution.   NOT IMPRESSED.  

HP Recommended

and to answer your question....  no that did not help.

Webscan from EWS was enabled before it was locked.

HP Recommended

@ScottAlbrecht

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.