Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Drucker
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Recently I switched my FritzBox router to WPA2/WPA3 wireless security mode (requiring also PMF for WPA2 and WPA3).

All my devices EXCEPT the HP OfficeJet 8620 printer had NO problems in connection to the router with either WPA2 or WPA3. Even my old Apple iMac (2012 model) can do this! 

Can you please provide a quick firmware update for this printer to at least support WPA2+PMF? Otherwise, the wireless mode of this printer is quite useless. Switching back to the already broken WPA 2 mode is no option for me.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @andifalk,

I'd like to help!

The printer only supports WPA/WPA2 encryption type, you can connect a USB cable between the printer and computer to print and scan.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. The fact that the printer currently only supports WPA2 is not a new Information and is not the answer I would have expected as a solution.

I would expect a firmware update to at least support WPA2 with PMF.

This is an OfficeJet PRO model but it seems without any PRO support. I bought this printer because of its wireless lan support. So connecting via USB is not an option as I would need to connect over 10 meters.

So is my model already unsupported?

HP Recommended

The firmware will not help the printer support the encryption.

HP Recommended

If a firmware update cannot solve this how does the printer currently implements encryption for WPA2?
AVM also just solved upgrade to WPA3 for their FritzBox products by just providing a firmware update WITHOUT requiring new hardware. So it should be possible if there would be customer awareness.

Other question: Does HP currently offer any other OfficeJet Pro model with either WPA2+PMF or WPA3 support?

HP Recommended

We do not have a printer model that supports this encryption.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately that is not true! 

Newer devices such as Officejet Pro 8730 support WPA2 + PMF. Other manufacturers are currently also delivering firmware updates for older devices or supporting PMF from the start, only HP does not.

HP Recommended

As Andifalk has already stated, the 8620 is a Pro model, and should be treated as such.

While I somewhat understand why a company would be reluctant to update firmware on a model that is 5 years old, and has been discontinued, I would like to remind you that this model was actively promoted and sold just 2 years ago. I have older devices, that have already been updated to support WPA2 with PMF, so yes, it is a "mere" firmware update (the last one for the 8620 was in 2018, though I know mine has received a few smaller updates since).

I personally have already stopped business dealings with companies that feel compelled to "force" their customers to buying newer devices, even though the older ones would function just fine with relatively simple firmware updates...especially when the same companies claim to support sustainability (the environmental pillar in particular). As I provide IT support and suggestions to my customers, my personal decisions also affect my recommendations.

Since older devices than the HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer have been updated by their companies, there is no reason that HP can't do the same. Should I be "forced" to buy a new printer in order to maintain my network's security, while my current printer is still fully functional, then my next printer will not be a HP. Nor will any other device.

HP Recommended

@Jay_G24 wrote:

We do not have a printer model that supports this encryption.

Well, that's not true. I've got the same issue with the OfficeJet 6700 "Premium" (sic!). The much older LaserJet Pro P1102 I bought in 2010 is still working with the new WPA2/WPA3 PMF Router-Setting. The OfficeJet 6700 does not.

To use an USB Connection is not an option since I've bought my devices to use them wireless. HP, get your things done! It's a firmware task. To buy a new device is the last option, but if so, it will not be another HP device.

HP Recommended

That may be true but not according to HP's own product documentation.  I just had the unfortunate experience of upgrading the security on my router from WPA to WPA2 only to find that my Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer will no longer connect to it.  This despite the HP printer manual stating " ... the printer supports many common types of network authentication, including WEP, WPA and WPA2 ...".  This is false information provided in an HP manual, yet apparently HP has taken no steps to correct this or assist its customers to rectify the  product defect with a firmware upgrade.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.