cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
4 2 0 3
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Support for WPA2/WPA3 mode with PMF

HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Drucker
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Recently I switched my FritzBox router to WPA2/WPA3 wireless security mode (requiring also PMF for WPA2 and WPA3).

All my devices EXCEPT the HP OfficeJet 8620 printer had NO problems in connection to the router with either WPA2 or WPA3. Even my old Apple iMac (2012 model) can do this! 

Can you please provide a quick firmware update for this printer to at least support WPA2+PMF? Otherwise, the wireless mode of this printer is quite useless. Switching back to the already broken WPA 2 mode is no option for me.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,774 5,745 347 385
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @andifalk,

I'd like to help!

The printer only supports WPA/WPA2 encryption type, you can connect a USB cable between the printer and computer to print and scan.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 2 0 3
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. The fact that the printer currently only supports WPA2 is not a new Information and is not the answer I would have expected as a solution.

I would expect a firmware update to at least support WPA2 with PMF.

This is an OfficeJet PRO model but it seems without any PRO support. I bought this printer because of its wireless lan support. So connecting via USB is not an option as I would need to connect over 10 meters.

So is my model already unsupported?

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,774 5,745 347 385
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The firmware will not help the printer support the encryption.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 2 0 3
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If a firmware update cannot solve this how does the printer currently implements encryption for WPA2?
AVM also just solved upgrade to WPA3 for their FritzBox products by just providing a firmware update WITHOUT requiring new hardware. So it should be possible if there would be customer awareness.

Other question: Does HP currently offer any other OfficeJet Pro model with either WPA2+PMF or WPA3 support?

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,774 5,745 347 385
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We do not have a printer model that supports this encryption.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately that is not true! 

Newer devices such as Officejet Pro 8730 support WPA2 + PMF. Other manufacturers are currently also delivering firmware updates for older devices or supporting PMF from the start, only HP does not.

Highlighted
2 1 0 1
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As Andifalk has already stated, the 8620 is a Pro model, and should be treated as such.

While I somewhat understand why a company would be reluctant to update firmware on a model that is 5 years old, and has been discontinued, I would like to remind you that this model was actively promoted and sold just 2 years ago. I have older devices, that have already been updated to support WPA2 with PMF, so yes, it is a "mere" firmware update (the last one for the 8620 was in 2018, though I know mine has received a few smaller updates since).

I personally have already stopped business dealings with companies that feel compelled to "force" their customers to buying newer devices, even though the older ones would function just fine with relatively simple firmware updates...especially when the same companies claim to support sustainability (the environmental pillar in particular). As I provide IT support and suggestions to my customers, my personal decisions also affect my recommendations.

Since older devices than the HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer have been updated by their companies, there is no reason that HP can't do the same. Should I be "forced" to buy a new printer in order to maintain my network's security, while my current printer is still fully functional, then my next printer will not be a HP. Nor will any other device.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation