Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

@melvin1136 wrote:

I have a hpdeskjet 990cse printer it not working with my window vista

i need help on getting to work with my vista

Unless the issue is related to using the duplexer please start a new thread with an appropriate title.  Be sure to provide details of what issue you are seeing including how the printer is connected, any error messages and other important information.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob,

My computer OS is Windows 7 home Premium.

Printer duplexing works fine on my new 02 Jun 2010 HP Officejet Pro 8000 (809a) but every so often the following results and the printer will not work:

"Unknown Device Properties > General Tab
"Unknown Device
"Device type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
"Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
"Location: Port_#0002Hub_#0003
"Device Status
"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.
"(Code 43)"

#### End of Windows message pane ####

The quick solution is to disconnect the USB cable at the printer, wait 10 seconds, reconnect the USB cable at the printer and the "Unknown Device" disappears from the Windows 7 "Devices and Printers" display and the printer is once again available - until the same thing happens again at intervals that vary from 10 minutes to hours.

I have also uninstalled the printer and reinstalled anew - same result.

Is there a solution to this USB Code 43 problem?

Only this USB printer seems to be involved.  The previous printer never caused this problem!

A previous printer- HP Officejet Pro K5400dtn - was not compatible with Windows 7 for full features but did plain printing okay.

Replaced the K5400dtn with the 8000 (809a) which is Windows 7 compatible.

I have asked HP Support for assistance via e-mail but have not heard back yet.

Help! This is really annoying!

Thanks, John

HP Recommended

A vast number of people have complained of this issue in this thread which has yet to be addressed by HP - I have re-posted it as a separate thread in the printer forum as well.

I have a C309g (running Vista 64) with auto duplex - which works - except that it squishes everything in and changes the margins when I use it. The printer properties/specifications say nothing about this attribute which is quite annoying and, quite frankly, unacceptable. The specifications allow for 1/4" margin, but, when auto-duplex is used, it downsizes the print area significantly. If I duplex manually, the margins are fine and do not change. I purchased this printer specifically for its auto-duplex capabilities, but it is unusable in that mode if it is going to change my documents from their original layouts.

HP Recommended

PS: I am not sure this is relevant, but I am using a wireless connection for the printer through my HP Pavillion Notebook (dv9920us).

HP Recommended

@John_H_Denning wrote:

Bob,

My computer OS is Windows 7 home Premium.

Printer duplexing works fine on my new 02 Jun 2010 HP Officejet Pro 8000 (809a) but every so often the following results and the printer will not work:

"Unknown Device Properties > General Tab
"Unknown Device
"Device type: Universal Serial Bus controllers
"Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
"Location: Port_#0002Hub_#0003
"Device Status
"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.
"(Code 43)"

#### End of Windows message pane ####

The quick solution is to disconnect the USB cable at the printer, wait 10 seconds, reconnect the USB cable at the printer and the "Unknown Device" disappears from the Windows 7 "Devices and Printers" display and the printer is once again available - until the same thing happens again at intervals that vary from 10 minutes to hours.

I have also uninstalled the printer and reinstalled anew - same result.

Is there a solution to this USB Code 43 problem?

Only this USB printer seems to be involved.  The previous printer never caused this problem!

A previous printer- HP Officejet Pro K5400dtn - was not compatible with Windows 7 for full features but did plain printing okay.

Replaced the K5400dtn with the 8000 (809a) which is Windows 7 compatible.

I have asked HP Support for assistance via e-mail but have not heard back yet.

Help! This is really annoying!

Thanks, John

This sounds like a communications issue rather than a duplexing issue.  I would suggest posting a new thread.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@FerryPerson wrote:

I have a C309g (running Vista 64) with auto duplex - which works - except that it squishes everything in and changes the margins when I use it. The printer properties/specifications say nothing about this attribute which is quite annoying and, quite frankly, unacceptable. 

You might check your driver and make sure you have the latest.  There are two possible issues:  

1. A driver issue that oversizes the margins significantly.  I had this issue on Win 7 x64 with an Officejet 6500, it was leaving a bottom margin of 1.25".  I was using the driver from Windows 7, updating to the HP driver corrected this issue.
  2. The second issue relates to the way the printer handles duplexing - the back side is printed from bottom to top, resulting in the bottom margin being applied to the top and vice versa.  To correct this the driver expands the margins so the top and bottom margins are the same, about 1/2".  If the "maintain page layout" box is checked the print will be shrunk slightly in the vertical dimension to make the contents still fit on a page. Unchecking the "maintain page layout" will prevent scaling, but the page breaks may change as less fits on the page in that case.
If your issue is related to very large margins then the first case may be the culprit and an updated driver may solve your issue.  If the problem is that you want 1/4" margins and can only get 1/2" margins when printing with the duplexer then the second case applies and you will probably not find a happy solution.

I personally think the auto duplexer is the best thing since sliced bread and do not mind the 1/2" margins when printing with the duplexer but your mileage may vary.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

So I don't have the most recent driver - even though when I ran an update today, it said I had the latest? (this printer was purchased and installed less than 3 weeks ago.) If I installed the drivers from the CD, shouldn't they be the HP drivers and how do I find this out for sure?

1/2 inch margins may be just dandy for plain old word processing documents, but I am a graphic designer and typically use a 1/4"  margins.  If the specs say I can have 1/4 inch margins, then I should be able to use 1/4 inch margins. There were no caveats that said otherwise. When using the duplexer, it adds another 1/2 inch (current project is printed landscape with 1/2 inch margins; duplexer adds another 1/2 inch to the long sides of the paper - short sides have remained the same)

I have unchecked the "maintain layout" box and it maintains the margins it decides upon (additional 1/2 inch) -so the print project is cut-off and amateurish.

HP Recommended

@FerryPerson wrote:

So I don't have the most recent driver - even though when I ran an update today, it said I had the latest? (this printer was purchased and installed less than 3 weeks ago.) If I installed the drivers from the CD, shouldn't they be the HP drivers and how do I find this out for sure?

1/2 inch margins may be just dandy for plain old word processing documents, but I am a graphic designer and typically use a 1/4"  margins.  If the specs say I can have 1/4 inch margins, then I should be able to use 1/4 inch margins. 

I was suggesting that you check your driver version, based on my experience with the Officejet 6500 where a driver update corrected some margins issues when duplex printing.  I do not have experience with your printer model, but the (numerous) duplex-enabled printers I have dealt with require larger margins to handle the paper while duplexing.  I do not know of a printer that spec's duplex printing with 1/4" margins all around.

From HP's driver download page for the c309g it would appear that there was a CD released with version 13.0, and a later (April 15, 2010) release with version 14.1.  Depending on when your printer was manufactured it is possible you do not have the latest driver and could benefit from a driver update (regardless of what the update advisor says - it sometimes has a lag).  Check your installation CD, if it is version 13.0 I would suggest downloading the 14.1 update from HP here.

If you want to discuss the product specifications with HP I would suggest using the Contact HP link.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
Hello, Bob, I have a problem with the back side of some duplexed pages on my HP OfficeJet 6500 under Windows 7 64-Bit Professional. Occasionally (but every time on certain pages), the top of the first line is cut off, sometimes just clipping the top and other times eliding the entire line. I have found that I can "fix" a failing line by altering its context; however, this is not always possible (e.g., printing a page from the Internet), and it is not generally desirable. Moreover, I never know just which alteration is going to "fix" the problem. Any ideas? Dave McManigal dmcmanigal@cableone.net
HP Recommended

I have two HP notebooks, one running Vista-32 Home Premium, the other running Vista-32 Enterprise. Both are patched up-to-date with latest Service Packs.
The printer is a DeskJet 6127 (what a work-horse!). The printer has the duplexer. Being Vista, after attempting to locate the driver, both notebooks are using the DeskJet 990c driver. There is no driver to download.

It duplexes letter paper all day long. The problem is trying to duplex a Legal sized document. And unfortunately, I never tried duplexing Legal with XP and the original 6127 driver.

When I change the 990c Paper Size (990c Advanced Document Settings) from Letter to Legal, I get

Incompatible Print Settings

There are one or more conflicting settings.
    One of the conflicting settings is:

Paper Size : Legal
    Two-sided Printing : Flip on short [or long] edge

I have tried going in to Printer Properties, setting the Upper Paper Tray to Legal from Letter, and "uninstalling" (disabling) the duplexer.

And I can't even find a way to get it to handle the duplexing manually, that is, printing the first sides, pausing while I rotate and reload the paper, then printing the other sides. Either the duplexer is installed, and the various duplexing options are shown with error indicators, or the duplexer is not installed, and the entire document is printed single-sided. :Crying:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.