Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I like that there's a solution, however:

Windows 7

Follow these steps to make sure that your printer driver recognizes the duplexer.

Step one: Add the Duplex Unit to your printer settings

1.      On the Windows taskbar, Click the Windows icon ( ), and then click Devices and printers .

2.      Right-click the printer icon ( ) for your product, click Printer Properties , and then click the product. The Printer Properties window opens.

3.      Click the Device Settings tab.

4.      If necessary, click the plus sign (+ ) next to Installable Options to expand the list.

5.      Click Duplex Unit , and then click Installed .

6.      Click Apply , and then click OK .

Step two: Set the Two-sided printing preference

1.      On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), and then click Devices and printers .

2.      Right-click the printer icon ( ) for your product, click Printing Preferences , and then click the product. The Printing Preferences window opens.

3.      Click the Features tab.

4.      In the Paper Saving Options area, select Automatic from the Two-sided printing drop-down list.

5.      Adjust other print settings as needed.

6.      Click OK to save your settings.

Step two: point 2.  There's no product to click on.  point 3.  There is no Features tab, therefore I cannot get to the Paper Saving Options area.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@LanceJones wrote:

I like that there's a solution, however:

[snip]

1.      On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), and then click Devices and printers .

2.      Right-click the printer icon ( ) for your product, click Printing Preferences , and then click the product. The Printing Preferences window opens.

[snip]

Step two: point 2.  There's no product to click on.  point 3.  There is no Features tab, therefore I cannot get to the Paper Saving Options area.

Is there a solution to this problem? 

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system?

If in step 2, point 2 there are no printers to select it would indicate you do not have a printer installed or that the print spooler is not running.  Hitting the Refresh button may populate the icons.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Sorry about the lack of info.

I have a laserjet 2200dtn connected by usb

Running Windows 7

I have just installed the latest driver (PCL5 HP)

When I first installed the printer I had duplex printing.  After updating the drivers for the printer, I no longer had access to duplex.

I tried following the solution:

Windows 7

Follow these steps to make sure that your printer driver recognizes the duplexer.

Step one: Add the Duplex Unit to your printer settings

1.      On the Windows taskbar, Click the Windows icon ( ), and then click Devices and printers .

2.      Right-click the printer icon ( ) for your product, click Printer Properties , and then click the product. The Printer Properties window opens.

3.      Click the Device Settings tab.

4.      If necessary, click the plus sign (+ ) next to Installable Options to expand the list.

5.      Click Duplex Unit , and then click Installed .

6.      Click Apply , and then click OK .

4.      In the Paper Saving Options area, select Automatic from the Two-sided printing drop-down list.

5.      Adjust other print settings as needed.

6.      Click OK to save your settings.

I got to step two, point 2: click Printing Preferences,  and  there is no Features tab.  I'm so close and yet so far.  Any help would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

I'm trying to use an HP Laser Jet P1102w on a wireless connection to a 32-bit Windows 7 machine.  Originally, I had it connected via USB, and the manual duplex worked fine.  After setting up with my wireless network, the options to manually duplex are still there, and the printer acts as if it wants to print in duplex mode when I set it to do so, but I no longer get the prompt on my screen to place the paper in tray 1, then click to continue printing.  The printer just sits there waiting for input I can no longer provide, until I cancel the print job.

Also, my system tray icon stays up, telling me I have a print job waiting, but there is nothing in the queue or spooled.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem for a trifold brochure printed in landscape.  I gave up on 2 sides.  Finally I just used Word 2007 to create an empty page with a border all the way around.  I choose 1/2" margins top,bot,left,right, no gutters, and sure enough, the printer puts a full inch on one side.  

HP Recommended

The 'install duplex' option on my computer is greyed out, so I can't follow the instructions for enabling it.

It's frustrating because duplex worked just fine with XP but I can't get it to work with Win7.

HP2015d

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Dids you update your printer program to Win 7?

HP Recommended

Hi !

I have Deskjet 5150C printer and I use Windows 7 64-bit. I do not have a duplex unit installed in my printer but I want to use manual duplexing. The problem is that I cannot enable manual duplexing at all. I choose two-sided printing in printing preferences but cannot change the "Print on both sides" option, it is always Off and cannot be changed. Please help !

HP Recommended

@valiobg wrote:

I have Deskjet 5150C printer and I use Windows 7 64-bit. I do not have a duplex unit installed in my printer but I want to use manual duplexing. The problem is that I cannot enable manual duplexing at all. I choose two-sided printing in printing preferences but cannot change the "Print on both sides" option, it is always Off and cannot be changed. Please help !

The Deskjet 5100 series driver does not seem to support manual duplex printing.  The Deskjet 5550 does support manual duplexing (at least gives that option).  I would suggest the following:  go to Start, Devices and Printer, right click on the Deskjet 5100 series, Printer Properties, Advanced, New Driver, Next, Windows Update, (wait for the list to repopulate) then select the HP (not Hewlett-Packard) Deskjet 5550 (HPA) (HP).  This driver is compatible with the Deskjet 5150 and does have the driver option for manual duplex.

Note - I do not have a Deskjet 5150 or 5550 to test this with, but I did load the drivers in my Win 7 x64 system as a test.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.