Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there. I am getting the wrong ink sent to me through HP Instant ink.  The tri colour cartridges are too big and will not fit in my hp envy 4520. Why am I getting sent the wrong ink. The tri colour I just took out is small and the one I got sent was too big to in there.  Shouldnt they be the same size as the one I took out? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Sharpy,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. HP ships the largest capactiy ink cartridge for customers enrolled in the HP Instant Ink program.  The larger cartridge may look different than the standard capacity cartridge that was installed in your printer but should fit fine.  The larger capacity cartridge for your HP Envy 4520 is the HP 63XL...this should be the cartridge that you received (if not please report back on this thread).   To ensure that you have a good path forward on installing the replacement cartridge, I'm including the following link with instructions and a video.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-4500-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5304875/document/c0374...

I hope that this information is helpful.

Regards,

Steve

Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this helped to solve the Question or Problem. Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello Sharpy,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. HP ships the largest capactiy ink cartridge for customers enrolled in the HP Instant Ink program.  The larger cartridge may look different than the standard capacity cartridge that was installed in your printer but should fit fine.  The larger capacity cartridge for your HP Envy 4520 is the HP 63XL...this should be the cartridge that you received (if not please report back on this thread).   To ensure that you have a good path forward on installing the replacement cartridge, I'm including the following link with instructions and a video.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-4500-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5304875/document/c0374...

I hope that this information is helpful.

Regards,

Steve

Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this helped to solve the Question or Problem. Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Something obviously was miscatogorized, contact Instant Ink in the US via Chat or Telephone via this link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-Instant-Ink-series/5264756/model/5401249?sku=INST...

HP Recommended

Hi Sharpyspooks,

The ink cartridges you get through instant ink are not the same as ink cartridges sold in retail stores. 

HP Instant Ink cartridges contain more ink than standard ink cartridges and last longer.  They should still fit in your printer, however! 

This document describes the program in more detail.  It also references a chat option at the top of your account page. 

I would recommend you try inserting the cartridge you have received and if it will NOT fit - use the chat option on your instant ink account page to talk directly to the instant ink team for a replacement. 

I hope this resolves your issue!
Jean

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The HP Instant Ink cartridges are larger, and will work and install correctly in your printer. Please go ahead and install them.

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
HP Recommended

Here is the link to the specific Instant Ink video explaining the size difference.  Hope this helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-instant-ink-series/5264756/model/5401249/videos

Go down to the videos and the first one should say:   Installing and Using HP Instant Ink Cartridges...

I am an HP employee.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
HP Recommended

Hello Steve.  Thank you for your help.  Now managed to fit in Tri Colour 🙂 so all is well now

HP Recommended

Thanks Jean. Managed to fit Tri Colour in the end so all working now 🙂 

HP Recommended

I can not get the 63XL to fit into the Envy 4520.  The clip will not click all the way down.  It is definitely  different.   The bridge on the top of the cartridge is made differently from the regular 63 black cartridge that I am replacing.  

I am thinking about shaving it down since I have no way to return an opened cartridge.  Any ideas?

HP Recommended

CmacC,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the XL cartridge. I have checked two portals to make sure that cartridge is compatible with your printer (Envy 4520), and the 63XL cartridges are compatible. You might need to wiggle the cartridges into its slot to shut the cartridge clip on top. 

I would definitely not shave the ink cartridge, as that would void the warranty. 

If the cartridge still will not fit, I recommend returning it as defective and possibly signing up for HP Instant Ink instead: https://instantink.hpconnected.com/r/plans/edit?jumpID=va_nxc3gze76w

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.