Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this printer a few years, and it has always had this problem, intermittently. A couple years ago I had an HP technician do a remote control session to upgrade the firmware, but it hasn't helped.

Now the problem is happening almost all the time. The printer sees my network, sees the wifi access point, but will not connect. "Cannot connect to network" is the message. I get this whether I use WPS or key in the password manually.

The really irritating thing is that if I send a print job to it, after 15 or 20 minutes it will print, even though the printer still says it's not connected.

It used to be that after a dozen or so attempts to connect, it would finally do it, and then stay connected for a while. Then it would eventually go offline again. Now it won't connect at all.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that I have multiple devices connecting to the wifi on my router (ASUS RT-AC68U, on the 2.4 GHz band), including Roku, Fire Stick, two smartphones, and two MacBooks, and none of them have any issues like this. The printer's wireless network test report likewise shows no issues. There's no MAC filtering on the router.

The printer is actually connected to the network at this writing - it shows an IP of 192.168.1.71 - but I know it's only a matter of time before it goes offline again.

HP Recommended

@nbcouch

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you are getting printer connectivity issues. I will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂  Kudos to you on that score.:)

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you do any changes to the printer?
  • Are you getting printer offline error message?

Meanwhile

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download a special version of HP Printer and Scan Doctor that was made specifically for helping with printer offline problems. Skip to the next step if your computer does not have Windows 8 or 10.

1. Download the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor is open, click Start, and then choose your printer.

• If your printer is not listed, turn it on and click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in the tool.
  4. Click Fix Printing.

Set the default printer

The default print driver might have changed from the driver you installed to another driver, such as a Web Services for Devices (WSD) driver with a very similar name. Change the default print driver to your originally installed driver and confirm the printer is not set for offline use.

1. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers from the list of results in Settings.

2. Right-click the name of the HP printer that is active (not grayed out), and then select Set as Default Printer.

Changing the gray icon to the color icon to be the default printer

3. Try to print.

Assign Static IP Address

• Obtain the IP address of the printer (which can found by pressing the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel) 

• Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page. 

• Go to the “Network” tab, click on “Wireless (802.11) then click on “Network address (IPV4) 

• Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.  

• Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address) 

• If you are unable to enable web services. Disable web services, restart the printer and then try to enable web services. Click here for assistance.  

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, I have not made any changes to the printer, whatever that means. Yes, I do get the printer offline message.

As far as the Print and Scan Doctor goes, it's useless when the printer goes offline and won't connect to my network, and when the printer is connected, I don't need the PSD anyway.

I am not interested in using the printer with web services.

This printer is always set as the default printer. There are no other physical printers on my network.

HP Recommended

@nbcouch

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I understand the issue better now.

PSDR 5.0.2 ftp link which should resolve the “Printer Offline” issues for Network connected printers on Windows10: 
Download link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

1. Run PSDR v5.0.2 

2. Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status. 

3. Select the correct Printer and click on Next. 

4. PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing 

5. Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page. 

6. Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on “NO PRINT” 

7. PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot. 

8. Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issue.  If no issue found close PSDR. 

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Luckily, the printer is online right now, so I did steps 1 through 4, after downloading the latest PSD (5.0.3). At step 5 now, and there is no option to print a test page. I see two buttons only: Restart Computer and Close.

HP Recommended

@nbcouch

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Good to know that printer shows online now and issue is resolved.

I also understand that you do not find the test print in PSDR page,

Need not to worry, try to print a document saved in your computer and check if it prints.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The issue is not resolved, as far as I'm concerned, unless the printer stays online. As I've said, it has always done this, where it will be online for a little while and then go offline for no apparent reason and stay that way. If it goes a week or a month without going offline, then I'd say maybe the issue is resolved.

HP Recommended

@nbcouch

Thanks for writing back to us.

The printer will stay online now, 

Feel free to contact us if you get any issues in feature.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

image.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.