Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PageWide Pro 477dw
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Our printer no longer prints any text from any kind of document (pdf, word, excel) and instead we get little boxes where each letter should be.  (See attached photo) I can't seem to locate a driver to update anything and the HP Smart app crashes every time I try to open it. Things went fine for about a month and now this... 

We have reset the printer and both computers, tried every wifi network we have here at the office, and tried printing from every software and browser and still we only get boxes. Graphics and images print fine.

This is a law office and we use only standard fonts. The font for the documents used is Times New Roman, nothing unusual. 

IMG_1439.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Connecting to the printer's IP address fixed the issue. Apparently HP has been getting many calls from Macs unable to print via AirPrint.

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
HP Recommended

Connecting to the printer's IP address fixed the issue. Apparently HP has been getting many calls from Macs unable to print via AirPrint.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for visiting our community, we are glad that you have resolved the issue you were experiencing on your device.

In this case, we thank you for sharing the solution, so that you can help other users who are experiencing the same problem.

Please, reach out if we can help you with anything else.

HP Support Community

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

So how does one "connect to the printers IP address?"  

HP Recommended

This is not working for me, printing then takes ages to complete. I rested the printsystem already twice.

HP Recommended

I could work it around now with a different setting (it works for Mac): When adding your printer via the + sign, select your printer and then select at "Use" drop down "General PostScript-Printer", click on add and this should work at the end. 

HP Recommended

Connecting via IP address did not work for me.  Only by choosing PCL or Postsript as driver can I print, and then lose scanning functions of the printer.  Is HP going to make some driver upgrade perhaps that we could use??

HP Recommended

Exactly the same problem here. Airprint from iPad does produce only little boxes.

How can I fix that?

Thank you for your help

HP Recommended

What worked best for me on my MacBook and iMac, is reinstalling your printer, on the screen is a drop down that reads:

Use: with choices, select GenericPostScript. Hopefully HP and Apple will figure this out.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for this suggestion.

Any idea how we can change the settings on an iPad?

KR

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.