Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet Plus 4155
macOS 10.15 Catalina

How do I set up my printer?

I am trying to set up my printer for the first time. I initially followed the instructions on the website, which directed me to press the Cancel button and WiFi button at the same time in order to print the set up page. Nothing happened. I then downloaded the HP Smart app on my iPhone, which directed me to press the Cancel button and Information "i" button. Nothing happened. I received an "Unexpected Error" message. I then downloaded the HP Smart app on my MacBook Air, which directed me to put in my WiFi password in order to connect my printer. Nothing happened. I received an "Unexpected Error" message. Currently, the WiFi button is blinking and the screen indicates that the printer has no ink even though I inserted the two brand new cartridges that the printer comes with.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@melsauce8, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Make sure the protective tape if any from the new ink cartridges is removed before placing them in the printer.

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Now, you may proceed to connect the printer to your wireless network. To know how, refer to page 23 of the user guide.

For info on how to setup the printer for the first time, kindly click here

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the MAC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
  • Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.

Once the printer is connected to the MAC, you may install the printer using AirPrint driver as shown in step 2 of this document to print and scan. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I took off the protective tape now! I didn't know it was on the cartridges. I was able to make a copy of document through the scanner. 

I'm still having some problems. The user guide link you included in your reply takes me to a page that is no longer available ("Page Not Found"). I clicked on the second link you provided to set up my printer. I'm instructed to install HP Smart and add my printer through there. I go through the steps to add my printer. I once again receive a message that states, "There was an unexpected error and we can't complete setup now." 

I read somewhere that I should press the WPS button on my router, but I do not have access to my router because I am trying to connect to my university's WiFi network. I read somewhere else that I should connect my laptop and printer with a USB cable, but I do not have one. I bought this printer to have easily, wireless printing, but I am not experiencing what I paid for.

HP Recommended

@melsauce8

Glad to know that you are able to make a copy now. This means the hardware of the printer is working fine. I have rechecked the link(user guide), and it seems to be working fine. It takes you to the user guide of the product.

Yes, to connect the printer to the wireless network, you may use the WPS method. However, you cannot connect the printer to an open/guest network such as a university network.

In this case, you need to get a USB cable in order to print from your MAC. Else, you may connect the MAC and the printer using wifi-direct.

Note: There will be no internet access on the MAC while using wifi-direct. The default password for wifi-direct is 12345678.

For more info on how to connect the devices using wifi-direct, kindly refer to - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.